Uneven joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys.

I'm in the process of laying my bathroom floor after lifting the split, bodged and rotted floor boards and joists.
All the joists are level with each other except for the end one.
If it was other end I would pack it up to meet the others, but it's at the entrance end, and if I pack it up, it will create a step into the bathroom.
See photo below...

That's a whole length board sitting nice and flat on all the joists, but with a 15mm drop to the last joist.
My head is telling me not to just screw it down under tension.

What would be the best thing to do here?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the chipboard your trying to put down is uneven this side of the picture but OK the other? If so probably wouldn't just screw t&g chipboard down. get some decent ply or similar and do it with that, OR sort the underlying issue of why it's uneven would be my suggestion. Hope that helps

Or to add, if you really want a bodge job, screw that current t&g hope it dosent break, get some compressed board and cover the whole bathroom with that before the finished floor goes down and you probably won't even know it's there. Not advised but probably would work.

Are you talking about the chipboard your trying to put down is uneven this side of the picture but OK the other? If so probably wouldn't just screw t&g chipboard down. get some decent ply or similar and do it with that, OR sort the underlying issue of why it's uneven would be my suggestion. Hope that helps

Or to add, if you really want a bodge job, screw that current t&g hope it dosent break, get some compressed board and cover the whole bathroom with that before the finished floor goes down and you probably won't even know it's there. Not advised but probably would work.

Yes that is what I mean.
I went with this as it was more cost effective and easier to handle, but if it's not up to it for this reason, then I'll have to ditch it.
Fixing The underlying issue isn't an option, as all the joist from here on are at this level, its obviously been like this since the 30's.

I don't want a bodge job so that's out the question (y)

Sponsored Links
Just screw it down
Cheers woody.
I'm just worried that screwing the chipboard down under tension would cause it to eventually pull through etc.

Just had another measure, it doesn't look like much, but it's around 15 - 18mm drop - and feels like a lot of tension when I push it down,

Cheers

At the risk of my sounding a prat, would it be possible to plane down the uneven joist until level and low enough?

At the risk of my sounding a prat, would it be possible to plane down the uneven joist until level and low enough?

All the joists are in line, except for the end one which is lower!

All the joists are in line, except for the end one which is lower!
Sorry. I'm afraid I didn't read it properly.
Looking at the picture, the floorboards in the foreground seem to be happily sitting on the joist. Have they been fixed down and, if so, I assume they have flexed somewhere along the line.
If all the other joists are in line, maybe they could all be planed down to a variable degree until there is a level line all the way across the room to meet the lower joist at the end. I suppose that's a lot of work for something that could be achieved more easily.

OK, I know. I don't know what I'm talking about! Just trying to help, though.

The chipboard won't flex, but floorboards will. Just relay with floorboards instead.

it may be relevant that the partition wall appears to be built off the floor, so may have deflected it, especially if there is damp and rot.

The chipboard won't flex, but floorboards will. Just relay with floorboards instead.

It wont bend by 10mm? So rip everything up and go to the time, trouble and expense of buying and fitting T&G floorboards? o_O

Just another thought how are you planning on getting that t&g to marry up with the existing floorboard in the doorway? Trim off the grove? 10x easier to fit ply and will last longer.

Not only will ply, or T&G timber floorboards, be more flexible, but chipboard isn't a hugely good idea for flooring in a bathroom. It's not ideal anywhere really, but particularly not where there's a high risk of frequent wetting.

Cheers
Richard

OP, you've got yourself & your bathroom into a bit of a muddle by making what seem like impulsive actions based on less than knowledgeable advice.

"Ply it is then" - why? Why exchange the on-site chipboard for buying in more flooring? What is your decision based on, & how do you imagine that ply is going to improve things?

18mm or 22mm P5 chipboard is the most commonly used flooring (esp. for baths & kitchens) across the large building sites that I'm familiar with. I'm told that its the most commonly specified flooring in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back