Unexpected Tripped Breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and thanks for your previous help

last night i had switched off the power to the socket in the loft to remove some redundant wiring which had been left live and taped up when the main breaker on CU tripped.

the wire came from a fused switch box which is also connected to an aerial amp, so my theory is some power left in that went down the earth and tripped it.

is this likely in your opinions?

Sponsored Links
its not the main breaker its probably the RCD have a look again.

neutral to earth short is supposed to do this

The RCD tripped? (as opposed to an MCB).

You isolated this circuit by turning off an MCB, which are predominantly single pole in most applications. This left the neutral of the circuit connected. A neutral to earth fault will cause operation of an RCD due to circulating currents on the other circuits protected by this RCD. You effectively give the current from the other circuits a second path to flow down, and some did.....atleast 30mA worth (the trip current of your RCD).

I guess you either chopped the cable, or inadvertantly caused the neutral and earth to short, or the neutral to come into contact with something else earthed.

Easily done, and expected.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back