Unexplained rasping noise under sink unit

Nope, I have even banged really loudly on the panel repeatedly when it’s been going on and the noise continued.
Aha. Right, after a second listen, I'm convinced its water dripping from a height and landing in that waste pipe you have running along the back. Does that lead up to somewhere on a higher floor? Maybe an overheating water heater or heating system pressure relief valve or condensate drain (even from a flat above you) which is dropping straight down and hitting the pipe at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Yes i heard the whimper too. Next time it happening bang on the floor or hit the wall at the back with a broom handle. If it stops its going to be mice or rats. Yes it may be a sort of gurgle coming up from the waste pipe but check it again a couple of times and if you banging it maybe rodents knawing the wood.

Sponsored Links
Is it my eyesight or does the waste pipe on the left just stop?

There also appears to be a hole in between the left leg and the waste coupler (you can just see the top of it behind the waste pipe)

Don't trust what your landlord says , he's hardly going to admit to you his tenant that there is a pest problem if there is one

If you know someone with an inspection camera you could where the sound is loudest is drill a hole in the wall and floor and take a peek

There's no evidence of pests under your units however you could lay down some flour to see if the are any footprints if you believe the sound is pests

I've been unfortunate enough to have rodents in my loft (climbing up the wall cavity) and that sound very similar to your noise.

They are either in that while pipe or behind it.

Put down some peanuts or cornflakes. Count them. Count them again the next day or so. That is how I proved we had a mouse. I kept seeing it come out of the plinth when watching tv (open plan flat) and mrs said I was seeing things. Then our staffie saw it and ran over barking and would sit there for hours. When I heard it, I would shout 'rats' and she would run over., sniff and wait 3 hours or so. It just moved out...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back