Unfinished flooring / tile section - solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi for whatever reason the old home owner didn’t tile to the flooring - or floor to the tile! However u wanna look at it

So I’m left with this annoying brown piece I. The middle!

What can I do that’s easiest and will look half decent pls?

I do have a spare few grey flooring boards she left for me…but no spare tiles….

If i take that silver trim off I probably damage the grey flooring piece in process and make it hard to join something against it?

Alternatively not sure if I can stick some black sticky vinyl or floor pain on the brown wooden are???

Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 6F26DA16-8745-4128-8301-FDC3FF1B5CDD.jpeg
    6F26DA16-8745-4128-8301-FDC3FF1B5CDD.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 41
  • 687AD02E-D285-4F75-8245-EE4F049D6C25.jpeg
    687AD02E-D285-4F75-8245-EE4F049D6C25.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
That "annoying brown piece" is in all probability a timber threshold. Fitted correctly they also refuced the gap at the bottom of the door which made rooms less draughty and reduced sound transmission through the gap below doors. They weren't that uncommon in houses in the 60s and 70s (I've lived in a couple of houses which had them) - they also acted as a transition between different types of flooring, e.g carpet to vinyl, tile to parquet, between different styles/colours of carpet, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea it’s a 70s house - can i floor over it though?

Take the silver trim off and try join a flooring piece to it …? And then a trim to that to meet the tile

The silver trim is there to protect the edge of the adjacent (laminate? tile?) flooring. Remove it at your peril - you need something to protect the flooring edge, otherwise why fit it? I might consider just replacing the thresholds with new thresholds - that one looks a bit hammered (as happens with them).

Sponsored Links
sorry what I meant was if I remove that trim I can possibly join a piece of flooring to that board - and cover the brown area

Then place the trim where the new end of the flooring meets the tile?

If you remove the threshold you will possibly find the flooring beneath is below the level of the existing floor and will need to be brought up to it - it was quite common to put in the thresholds on the (concrete) floor then lay bitumen over the top. Just saying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back