Great idea for beading, instead of the wooden stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just replaced our carpet floor tiles in the bathroom with the Florentine Blue Tile Loc Wooden Floor from B&Q, yes it was a pain to fit, but when it came to the beading, obviously wooden beading doesn't bend round the toilet and sink, so heres a great idea which someone else told us about.

Thought it might be useful for all you flooring DIYers out there.

We used 12mm sisal rope (bought from B&Q for 54p a metre), we dyed it using cold water dye (by Dylon) with salt and dye fix, then when it was completely dry, we measured each piece to fit where it needed to go, cut it (of course it unravelled slightly so All Purpose Glue was used to glue the ends - my hands got covered in glue so this is a messy job).

The glued ends of the rope were then left to dry again and once dry were cut across the ends (only a small amount) to create a flat end and then we were off.

First of all we sealed the gaps around the edges of the wooden floor with coloured silicone sealant and then we glued the rope down with the silicone and put panel pins in every so often to hold the rope down until the silicone dried.

Once this was done and the silicone had dried, we took the panel pins we could get at (could be left in I suppose) and then the rope was coated with a clear coat of Yacht Varnish.

It looks lovely, a bit different, and makes a change from wooden beading.

Once I have taken piccies, I will put one on here to show you the effect.

We have now got the kitchen to do with light chestnut flooring, so we are going to use the rope again, maybe either left un-coloured or coloured brown.

Hope some of you find this tip useful.

Catherine

Sponsored Links
I never thought of that Catherine, please don't forget to show us the pics!

This is similar to a technique used on Clinker-type boats and the rope is called caulk. This is twisted and shoved in the gap between the planks. This would work in the same way as the cork strips that are used on laminate floors for the expansion gaps (cork and caulk? could get confusing!)

Alternatively you can do something I did which was in some (not obvious) sections I ran cable trunking instead of beading to allow the hiding of any extra wiring that appeared after I finished my renovations. Needless to say the trunks are already full!

How is the wood floor holding up in the dampness of a bathroom? I am considering stone tiles or wood and the wood seems like a more inviting option on a cold day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back