UNHAPPY WITH NEWLY LAID OAK FLOOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am undergoing a total renovation of my house and have laid an 18mm solid oak floor in the hall way. The subfloor has recently been concreted and I wrongly assumed it would level and laid the floor on 5mm thick fibre board. The floor looks pretty good but there is definite high and low points under the floor and its bouncing in areas and lifting in others. I am simply not happy with the job I have done but it is glued so not sure if anyone can tell me if there is a way to pull it up and relay without too much damage or is it staying in situ until I can afford to replace properly?

thanks from a numpty novice floor fitter :)

Sponsored Links
I've seen floors put down on "newly laid" or "recently laid" concrete and screeds and the moisture has turned it into a right mess, hope you don't have that problem.
As to taking it up , if you can live with it then I'd do that in all honesty. However, if you decide to lift it then I think you've already realised that with it being glued there will be damage. As it is in a hallway I'm assuming it's not too wide so it may be possible with a minimum of cutting and the removal of skirtings to lift the whole thing in like lifting a sheet of ply that lying on the floor. Not easy but possible maybe, and then you'd have to fabricate some sort of tongue to put it all back down again :(

Thanks for the reply I will have a think of what I am going do. But will probably leave it down until I can afford to replace it. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back