floating oak flooring removal..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Bout 20 months ago had an oak floor ( 15mm. by 1m) fitted by a joiner, didnt have a clue how to do it been told later.

I want to remove carefully as want to relaid ( its in very good conditioned itself, nothing wrong with it apart from the way it was laid).

It is tongue and groove, glued. laid on top of concrete floor.

Not nailed, just floating on top of concrete floor. the problem is the glue in the T & G joints.

Never done it before. How Do I deal with this ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it will be glued together if its floating
if it is glued then recycling is extremly limited as you now have a large board that can't easily be seperated to a clean reusable planks with clean joints

big-all is right, many T&G's will damage beyond "repair". But if your concrete floor is level and sound then you can re-install your whole floor glueing it down with flexible adhesive.

It's worth saving an oak floor if it's in good dondition (i'd save it even if it was bad!!)

Wood flooring adhesive dries very brittle and comes off tongues or out of grooves easier than you think. Buy one chisel that just fits inside the groove about 5/6mm , keep it sharp, get some tinnies in and plod away. It's the only way, will take a bit of time but will save you money !! enough to buy some dpm underlay and fit it correctly.

Hello!

Bout 20 months ago had an oak floor ( 15mm. by 1m) fitted by a joiner, didnt have a clue how to do it been told later.

I want to remove carefully as want to relaid ( its in very good conditioned itself, nothing wrong with it apart from the way it was laid).

It is tongue and groove, glued. laid on top of concrete floor.

Not nailed, just floating on top of concrete floor. the problem is the glue in the T & G joints.

Never done it before. How Do I deal with this ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's worth saving an oak floor if it's in good dondition (i'd save it even if it was bad!!)
Agree with that, any Oak floor worth its due is worth salvaging

Wood flooring adhesive dries very brittle and comes off tongues or out of grooves easier than you think.
Don't agree with this. Tongue will snap/damage due to glue - proper glue should not get brittle otherwise any movement in a normal floor in normal circumstances would break the bond of the glue too and create gaps etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back