Unidentifiable pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I need to move a pipe from under the floor as whenever you walk over it, you can hear it banging (it's slightly above the floor joists). Anyway, having a closer look it's nothing to do with my CH system and it also has the word 'steam' written on it. It's also a different material to the usual copper, possibly lead.

Anyway, does anyone know what it is and can I just chop it off and remove it? Maybe in a previous life it served a back boiler, but that is long gone before I moved in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Trace it in both directions and, when you are sure that it's not connected to anything, then cut it out.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought lead would squish out of the way after years of being trampled on!

Yeah, just push it down, it'll probably stay there. Could cause yourself a world of pain if you go chopping it out willy nilly, seen loads of gas/water lead pipes but never steam in a domestic property (but we live and learn).

Could be the old poor mans copper from the 70s when we fell out with Rhodesia and copper became short.Bob

I followed the pipe best i could but it just happened to be T'd right next to the lump i needed out of the way so it looked safe enough and old enough; i just cut it off. Wouldnt bend or move at all.

Was just a lump of lead. Im having snags uploading photos otherwise i would have shown it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back