Unidentified drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a clay underground drain pipe that runs parallel to the back of my property two soil stacks and the kitchen sink run into it and then it runs to the road. I have 3 manholes at the back - one at each end and one in the middle where the central soil stack is. In the central manhole there is a pipe leading into this which I can't identify, it comes from the direction of my house - pointing straight into the middle of the house. Its not anything to do with any of the soil stacks or previous soil stacks etc and there are no drains on the other side of the house or the road etc. It looks like a clay ribbed pipe. Could it be some kid of drainage pipe for under the house or somthing?

I am replacing all of this pipe with plastic and the extension is goin on top, the soil pipe going into this manhole is being moved to outside the extension so there will be acces for that but this I was just going to pipe up to a "T" and leave it.

House was built in the eairly 70s if that helps at all.

Sponsored Links
Well there is toilet paper there, so I would guess its one of your toilets or from a neighbour. Use some drain dye in each toilet one at a time then try the neighbours.

Andy

Well there is toilet paper there, so I would guess its one of your toilets or from a neighbour. Use some drain dye in each toilet one at a time then try the neighbours.

Andy

No its not got toilet paper coming from it - thats from the other soil pipe that comes into this inspection chamber - you cant see it - its to the left out of the picture. Its definitly not one of my toilets I know where they all run to. I will check out the neighbours but have checked where that runs and it looks like it runs straight onto the street.

Sponsored Links
Storm drain, from a guttering down pipe?

Andy
Nope all the gutters run elswhere and out into a soakaway in garden. Very strange. This pipe also looks like its just been plonked in there - all the others have a smooth entry into the chambers and are all in smooth clay pipe not this ribbed stuff..

Take another picture. It could be anything.

I will take a better picture later - this might help - this shows the house (middle one) - the red dots represent the inspection chambers. The one I am takeing a picture of is the middle one..

More pics... Sorry about the downpipe coming into the pic its temporary but didn't want to move for pic.

Last edited:
Have you only got 1/2 the manhole lid up on the middle pictures?

Have you only got 1/2 the manhole lid up on the middle pictures?
All the manhole was up, but only half was accesable!
Yes Andy you were right! They obviously moved the drains at some point. Was certainly a releif for me. Relayed the main drain in plastic and waiting for inspection thismorning so I can backfill and carry on digging footings! Tha ks everyone.
Do I win a prize?

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back