unidentified foam under 1960s bath ?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During some recent bathroom maintenance we removed a bath panel on a 1960s bath and found some strange white rigid foam under the bath. Photos are attached with this post. The foam is very low density, crushable to a powder, is rigid rather than elastic. It does not look like polystyrene or asbestos (we hope!). It could have been put their in the 70s during a re-decoration.
It is loose, not attached to the underside of the bath, in large lumps. It does not seem to serving any purpose such as structural or insulation.
It's a complete mystery as to what it is or why it is there. Does anybody have any suggestions ? We would like to solve this mystery!
cheers,
Gareth (new to this forum)

Attachments

• IMG_8763.JPG
    IMG_8763.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8764.JPG
    IMG_8764.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_8765.JPG
    IMG_8765.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8766.JPG
    IMG_8766.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
I reckon somebody put it in hoping to improve thermal insulation.

Look at the PVC insulated cables I can see. Have they done sticky where they touched it?

Try lighting a small piece on your barbie. I reckon it will be some form of plastic foam. No reason to suspect asbestos.

I suppose it might be cavity wall insulation but if so it would be broken up from boards about two to four inches thick. Maybe it is broken up packing.

Thanks John, yes it is definitely some form of plastic. Very probably flammable - I'll try to burn some in the garden later. The PVC cables are not sticky, look quite modern (probably earthing for bath ?).
The foam has very similar consistency to "oasis", the stuff used for sticking flower stalks into for flower arranging. I've googled oasis (floral foam) composition, and it seems to be a phenolic thermoset, containing formaldehyde. So the dust would be an irritant, long-term exposure risk of cancer. so bad, but not as scary as asbestos.
Our best-guess is that someone shoved it under the bath just to clear up !
cheers Gareth

Last edited:
Agree with JohnD.
Lighting a small bit outside the house in fresh air should allay your asbestos fears.

Sponsored Links
for info, PVC cables go sticky if they are in contact with expanded polystyrene, that's a way of identifying it.

(they also crack and the electrical insulation falls off when moved)

the insulation might be a Celotex or Kingspan type, but it's usually yellow or pink.

Expanded polystyrene is bad for cables, but expanded PIR foam/celotex/kingspan should be OK.

It looks like foam style cavity wall insulation. Perhaps some pipes going through the wall to downstairs or the soil pipe to outside. I doubt someone's put it in there deliberately.

As above, cavity wall foam from the 70's injected wet and got in through holes in inner wall.

It's the same in my house. Patchy as **** within the cavity.

IMG_1415.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back