Universal MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All

Quick question for you, I have a GE Consumer Unit with GE MCBs/RCDs in it. If I wanted another circuit added to it, would I have to use a GE MCB or are there design overlaps with other branded MCBs?

Many thanks
BBee1

Sponsored Links
The manfacters instructions always say to use the own brand MCBs. In reality at a push some makes are close enough that they'll fit other makes, but this should be done as a last resort, best to obtain the reight part. Some contractors bang whatever in, good fit or not and that looks dog rough.

Assuming the latest revision of GE devices, then these are stocked by tool station

Are you aware of the implications with regards to LABC regarding new circuits?

Thanks for your comments - this is the problem I am having as Toolstation seem to be discontinuing the GE range and I can;t find a 32A Type B anywhere.

Absolutely aware of the LABC requirements - this is for membership to one of the schemes. Everything else is straightforward but the MCB is the sticking part. better keep searching!

Try ebay or 'thefusecompany.co.uk'.

Personally I'd just put whatever I had to hand in there, doubt the assessor would say anything.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Londonboy - just checked on ebay and bought there - looks a legitimate electrical supplier so should be OK.

When buying breakers off ebay, you might want to check that the weight feels about right, and the silk screening is not patchy. There are fake breakers around, so if it looks/feels wrong, it could be

When buying breakers off ebay, you might want to check that the weight feels about right, and the silk screening is not patchy. There are fake breakers around, so if it looks/feels wrong, it could be
I'll agree with that. £4 off ebay or £6 + £4 p+p from a legit UK supplier. Is your life really worth only £6??

Not to say there aren't legit sellers on ebay, but it can be a gamble!

As the others have said (and I should have too), be on the lookout for fakes!

I saw 10x Merlin Gerin RCBOs on there the other week for £180, shipped direct from China, one to avoid I think!!

100% agree with what you are all saying - I will double check and make sure that I am happy with them when they come through - I am reticent about buying them via ebay but my trusty Toolstation has let me down and thefusecompany don't stock them either... Screwfix - nope, even B&Q don't have them!

I see that Toolstation do still stock GE mcbs but they do not have 32A listed.

Why would this be? Surely they still make 32A.

Also, only £1.80.

I was in there this morning, and did notice that a some of the GE stuff did say "stock clearance" on it in their catalogue

Most breakers on single phase domestic boards are simple din rail mounted breakers, so will fit anything, unlike 5 maybe 10 or so years ago.

It is the lining up of the bus bar which is the main issue with differing makes of MCB, also the fact that shoving in another make makes it a not fully type tested assembly.

Most breakers on single phase domestic boards are simple din rail mounted breakers, so will fit anything, unlike 5 maybe 10 or so years ago.
That's what one would hope but, unfortunately, it's not really true, unless you are going to play around trying to bend or fabricate bus bars. I've commented in the past that I would really have hoped that they would 'standardise' (or maybe have a standard imposed on them) but, as things are, there are (small) variations in the position and nature of the input terminal which means that they are far from universally 'interchangeable.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back