GEC / Vynckier Compatible RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a faulty RCD at my brothers house.

The consumer unit is a Vynckier, which I'd never heard of before, but shares MCBs and RCDs with the GE Series E.

The faulty RCD is an 80A 30mA however I've only been able to find 63A 30mA or 80A 100mA variants on eBay. The house is currently unoccupied and the CU is going to be replaced next year anyway, so the 63A 30mA would be sufficient for now as it's only really supplying a socket circuit however I'd like to replace like for like if possible.

Are there any other brands of RCD that are compatible with this board?

Sponsored Links
Sector, GE, Steeple, Siemens and Vynckier all used the same design.

Sector and Steeple were own brand units marketed by different wholesalers.

Search Sector 606502 on ebay. Does this look the same unit?

They did update the design a couple of times over the years.

Post a picture of yours.

The Sector 606502 looks a more modern design to me - but it might fit I guess!

The existing is marked Vynckier 097/14828-038 - I'm a bit confused by the 038 as all the others I can find online are either 030 or 100 corresponding with the leakage current - but it's definitely an 8 on the existing unit!

This is the 63A version I was looking at which is an identical design:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373080628334/

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Maybe an obvious question:-
How do you know the RCD is actually faulty?
The Test button doesn't do anything :D I know that in itself isn't necessarily conclusive proof that it's faulty - I would have tested it but I didn't have my test equipment with me the other day as I'd only called round to do some work in the garden!

The more concerning issue though is that when I switched it on, it was making an arcing / crackling type noise whenever any current was drawn from any of the attached circuits. I did turn it on and off a good few times and sometimes it was ok but it was about 50/50 whether the arcing noise returned. My guess is something isn't making good contact inside? Either way it seemed safest to leave it switched off and replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back