Unknown switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved in to my current house 3 months ago. It had a garage conversion part of which is a utility. In said utility there's 1 ceiling light and 2 2 gang light switches.

They both do the main light and the one by the back door also does the garden light, however the other switch does nothing at all. It's really bugging me. I've attached a pic, it's the one with a red in L1 and common. Both wires are 240 live regardless of switch position.

Can anyone suggest what the hell it does??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Measured between where and where, exactly?
What happens when the switch is in the other position?
Are both of those wires going into the same cable?

Most likley that one red wire is a permanent line (Live) from the supply/feed and the other should be a switched line (Live) going of to somewhere. The two blacks joined together is the mid point between the neutral return from the switched line (live) and the supply/feed.

Test between the two joined blacks and each of the reds in the switch, in both switch positions and in one switch position your MM will likley indicate no or near 0V.

Are their any blanked of accessory points hidden away anywhere (inside or outside) what might be a indication of what the switch is or used to be used for. Any round hole sockets or anything else unusual in your house?

Each red is from a different twin and earth. Both blacks in the choc block, netural I've presumed.

I've tested both reds to black switch on/off 240v on each test.

Coincidentally I've emailed the estate agents yesterday to see if they can contact them and ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back