Unlevel bedroom new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All, I've noticed an uneven part of the floor towards the side of the main bedroom which is noticeable based on the drop on the bottom of the ensuite door. Customer service have looked at it and are happy to work with me to resolve it, but I am not sure its worth the upheaval of ripping up the floor, although the proposed solution was to put a levelling compound down which is not addressing the issue of an unlevel joist by the looks of it. Any views on this from the forum? I'm only really bothered on it being picked up on a future survey if we sell the house.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 15660284684628467046771984936619.jpg
    15660284684628467046771984936619.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 286
Sponsored Links
Kton2002, good evening.

Is that a ground floor or first floor?

Does the floor "bounce" or is is solid?

Ken

Hi Ken, it's second floor, on I joists. There Is some flex / bounce but hard to say if it's excessive. They are 600mm centres though, so not the tightest of floors. There is no movement though on the area I've photographed. There is a box room underneath in the hall that has a timber frame and I'm wondering if that has pushed the joist up if that makes sense causing the slope.

Sponsored Links
Door frame is level, can feel it slope up slightly as walk over that part of the floor.

I think so, it's 22mm chipboard on I joists. I said I didn't think that wouid be suitable but haven't decided whether to leave it. My wife isn't overjoyed with the upheaval of pulling up the floor and it's not causing an issue but as I say it's more about someone using it against us if we decide to sell the house in years to come

No idea, was a potential solution but didn't go into detail. Presumably this is not aa workable option from your post?

In my own experience floor layers (carpet, vinyl, etc) often use a latex-based levelling compound on chipboard and plywood flooring to take out unevenness. There is a limit on how much build you get with that approach, however, and if they were to build the floor up to any extent the skirting board to the left of the door would look lower than the one to the right. Any possibility of scribing the bottom of the door to the floor to even up the gap?

No idea, was a potential solution but didn't go into detail. Presumably this is not aa workable option from your post?
Still don't know exactly what they are proposing as a means of levelling this timber floor

Latex i think they said, by a flooring company who presumably will have done something similar in the past. Am not sure if it is worth the upheaval? I have attached some more pics in an attempt to show the deviation.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 252
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 250
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 232
Latex i think they said, by a flooring company who presumably will have done something similar in the past. Am not sure if it is worth the upheaval? I have attached some more pics in an attempt to show the deviation.
Pics don’t show deviation unless there’s a level in the photo .

Have added some pics. tried to demonstrate the slope. Think it is (albeit not taken the carpet up) circa 5/6 mm deviation in the middle, when i take into consideration the wood that i put at either end to be able to use a tape measure. I.e. at either end of the wood the gap is 19/20mm (the wood width) and in the middle it is 25/26mm. The pictures with the spirit level are of the worst part, to show what the level says.

Attachments

• fl1.jpg
    fl1.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 246
  • fl2.jpg
    fl2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 253
  • fl3.jpg
    fl3.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 245
  • fl4.jpg
    fl4.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 248
Do these photos provide any more value? Should i ask for this to be levelled using a latex screed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back