Unnecessary damage caused by plumber in search of leak

Joe sounds like you didnt put the right glasses on for the plumbing brain waves to take affect

Sponsored Links
It's pretty basic stuff. There Is a leak in the ceiling. You open a panel and find a push-fit connector. So what do you do? Test it and replace it? Or go into the other room and knock a hole in the ceiling.

Sorry guys - but you are just a load of muppets. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Telling the OP not to pay a tradesman who has a signed waiver agreement is NOT good advice, and will only cost them more in the long run.

Once again, the waiver fee was for any damage done and no one is disputing that damage was done. No one is saying the plumber should put it right or pay for it to be put right. We agree on that?

What is in dispute is that the plumber expected to be paid a considerable amount of money for not doing the job he was employed to do, find and fix the leak.

He should not have been given a penny. In fact I would have told him to go away in short sharp jerky movements.

Telling the OP not to pay a tradesman who has a signed waiver agreement is NOT good advice, and will only cost them more in the long run.

Once again, the waiver fee was for any damage done and no one is disputing that damage was done. No one is saying the plumber should put it right or pay for it to be put right. We agree on that?

What is in dispute is that the plumber expected to be paid a considerable amount of money for not doing the job he was employed to do, find and fix the leak.

He should not have been given a penny. In fact I would have told him to go away in short sharp jerky movements.

So let me get this straight Johnmelad , are you saying you would of removed a section of plasterboard exposing some of the pipework and having found no leak would of then proceeded to turn the water OFF and then ON again?

On second thoughts don't bother answering that. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
This thread has run on for four pages too many now. The plumber was within his rights to charge for his time.
The OPs info indicates:
1. There wasn't a leak to find with the water ON whilst he was there.
2. She prevented him from continuing (perhaps a good call as there wasn't a leak to find).

So let me get this straight Johnmelad , are you saying you would of removed a section of plasterboard exposing some of the pipework and having found no leak would of then proceeded to turn the water OFF and then ON again?

On second thoughts don't bother answering that. :rolleyes:

You really are getting to be a pain in the rear. I would have found the leak and fixed it. I would then have charged the customer for my time and any materials.

When I arrived at the job the first thing I would do is ask a few questions one of which would have been, have you turned the water off. In fact I would probably have asked this during the initial phone call. If the answer was yes, fine. If on the other hand the customer said no, I would have asked them to turn it off immediately and open ground floor taps.

Then when I got there (made hole) and could not find the leak, I would have turned the water on and hey presto, guess what?. :rolleyes:

Only one side of the story here, we all know 90 percent of custards don't have a clue

This thread has run on for four pages too many now. The plumber was within his rights to charge for his time.
The OPs info indicates:

No he was wasn't

1. There wasn't a leak to find with the water ON whilst he was there.

Yes there was, the cowboy plumber just could not find it

2. She prevented him from continuing (perhaps a good call as there wasn't a leak to find).

Where/how did she prevent him from continuing?

This thread would have stopped on page one if the cowboys would stop trying defend the indefensible.

Why did he not ask if the water was off - ffs it's not rocket science.

I would have found the leak and fixed it.

How would you have found it? He was looking for a leak; when he looked at the defective fitting it wasn't leaking, so he carried on looking for a leak.

If water had been dripping from the newly-made hole, the plumber or the OP might have noticed it.

Why did he not ask if the water was off - ffs it's not rocket science.

He was looking for a leak, the water was ON. Turning off the water usually stops the leak on this planet.

Don't waste your fingers onetap , the guys a crank just looking for an argument , he has no idea. :rolleyes:

The guy was a gypo. Don't pay - you don't have to. No court will find in favour a tradesman that is incompetent. This guy was grossly incompetent. And I mean GROSSLY.

He was a no-hoper, complete cowboy. Don't pay.

The plumber is entitled to be payed & should be,

To many cowboy custumers trying to weasle out of payment IMHO

He was no plumber. Complete bodge artist. Clueless Tw*t.

in the OP she says
I did sign a waiver saying that they (the plumbers) were not liable for damages caused

as the chap who attended had a damage waiver in place, can we assume he would have also had rates/charges already stated on the form she signed?

if so, then she has signed a legally binding contract.

whether the chap found the fault or not, she signed the contract. did she get a recommended guy?

BTW , i'm not defending the guy who didnt find the leak.

caveat emptor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back