Plumber caused damage ... What to do?

J

James007a

Hi,

A plumber installed a boiler and after he left a leak appreared and overnight it caused damage to the downstairs ceiling (brown stains), the carpet does not settle back on the gripper rods and the ceiling has a beam which has wood panelling covering the beam which has now warpped and come apart at the seems.

I'm unsure of how best to proceed, should we claim though our insurance or his?

He has said that he'll get people in to fix the work, but I'm thinking that they won't do a proper job as they may have a slight bias. Thoughts?

Do Trading Standards need to know?

What are the implications for the plumber? We did get on with him and he's having a rough time of things just lately.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
You need to ask what and how he intends to pay, has he got a PLI etc for example. Don't allow it to drag on.

If you have a good relationship with him then IMO it would be fair to allow him to make good to the same standards as before. Have him over and discuss and agree what's required and get it all down in writing, signed and witnessed with a clause that if it isn't completed satisfactorily then it goes to his insurance.
If he's at all reputable then this should be an amicable solution.

Firstly he must fix the leak on the boiler.

Its generally better to claim off YOUR insurance rather than start an argument with the boiler installer.

I do have to point out that some householders who don't get on with their plumber actually create leaks themselves and then blame the poor plumber.

You said you got on well with him so my view is that you should not give him a hard time!

The damage was caused by the leak and not by the plumber. Its a fact of life that leaks can occur and its sensible for householders to check new work for a few days to make sure no leaks can be seen.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it was my house i would give him a break and let him sort it, talk to him and dont try to claim for more damage that he caused (this will do no-one any good) explain that you just want it back to the original state, nothing more. As plumbers we all have things like this happen. Often you find its not as bad as first thought. If he's a decent enough bloke he'll come through.

just a though

did he issue any warnings like
"if you reuse the old plumbing on a pressurized system it may leak"

just a though :?: :?:

As said give him a chance to put it right, take photos before just in case it goes pear shaped. Agree with him what you expect to get fixed and try to keep a good relationship going.
No need for trading standards unless there is a dispute later, going straight to them is the fastest way to put his back up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back