stain,crack in ceiling under bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we bought a 3 floor townhouse over a year ago. There are two bathrooms on the 2nd floor which reside on top of the 1st floor lounge. There was a crack in the ceiling on the 1st floor lounge which has grown over the year and also 2 stains on the celiling. Over the last year, i feel that the exisiting stains have expanded in size and two new stains have appeared. One of the bathrooms has had the grout disintegrate and for a period of a month, there used to be a bit of water on the tiles(which i am sure has gone through the grout). the tiles have started movig around, I showed it to a handyman in december and he said that there was bo cause for alarm, as the only issue was that they had not been laid well.

do you guys think it is a minor problem and i just need to get the bathroom floor fixed and the cracks in the ceiling touched up. and the ceiling repainted? or could i have damaged the joist and the ceiling could potentially cave in if i dont get it fixed asap?

can i get this done via home insurance? (they state that they provide insurance against accidental damage, like if my child pulls down the tv or i knock a whole through the ceiling doing diy)

should i be looking for a plumber or a carpenter or both to get an idea of what to do next? where can i get some good plumber/carpenter who can provide me with honest advice?

is there anything i can do to prevent further damage?

Sponsored Links
You need a tiler to relay your tiles.
This should then stop the ingress of water through the ceiling void. If you don't do this you could well have problems with the joist and the ceiling, so need to get this sorted pronto.
If the ceiling is still sound and the plaster or plasterboard not started fail and crumbled, you will get away with a tape joint repair over the crack.
The stain will need to be sealed though before you redecorate or the stain will continue to bleed through.

heeelllooo and welcome diydudedude :D :D :D

we bought a 3 floor townhouse over a year ago.

can i get this done via home insurance? (they state that they provide insurance against accidental damage, like if my child pulls down the tv or i knock a whole through the ceiling doing diy)

is there anything i can do to prevent further damage?

you buy a faulty product that is suffering from lack off maintainance what do you think the insurance company will say ??

is the bath in a room conversion ??

thanks for the replies and the warm welcome. Much appreciated!

will get a tiler to relate the tiles. What is a tape joint repair? how can i seal in the stain?

i thought the insurance company would not agree, issue is i had got a handyman to look at the stains sometime back and we thought it was a one off due to spillage of water by my son.

i think the bath was made by a splitting up a room, how does that impact things?

Sponsored Links
Insurance generally covers damage CAUSED by the EVENT. The event in this case is likely to be the leak throught the tiles/bath. You won't get paid for the tiling or leak repair, but they should cover damage to ceiling etc, subject to your excess.

thanks for the replies and the warm welcome. Much appreciated!

will get a tiler to relate the tiles. What is a tape joint repair? how can i seal in the stain?

If the plaster has not been badly damaged and not failing/crumbling due to water ingress. You can place a joint tape over the crack, I would make sure the board was fixed secure first, by screwing up.
Then applying three coat applications of easi-fill
or another type of jointing compound, some come ready ready mixed. Each application will need to set and be sanded down (150-180 grit sand paper), the last application needs to be the smooth and even once sanded, this should then be primed prior to painting.
But the stain must be sealed prior to painting or it will bleed through stain sealer
The best method to apply compound over joints is by using a trowel or a broad knife.
The first application should cover the tape, the compound should be about 150mm wide on application over tape.
The second applied the same but covered of about 240mm, then third about 300mm.
The applications should be done so the edge of the compound is feathered out, so it looks level and flat with the ceiling.
Make sure the tape is flat and not creased when you apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back