Plumber problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A local plumber was recommended by my friend. I wanted him to sort out a leak under the bath. He made 2 holes under the bath and 1 in the ceiling to find the leak. The leak was found after he made the 2nd hole under the bath. I asked him about repairing the hole in the ceiling and he said he didnt have any materials with him and would be in touch. I received an invoice requesting payment for 2 visits to my home but he hasn't fixed the leak or the hole in the ceiling. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed? He didn't give me any documents such as a contract before starting the work.

Sponsored Links
What did you ask him to do?

So what did he say about the leak?

Why was it leaking?

What was needed for repairing it?

What did he say before making any holes?

Many would suggest BEFORE making any holes that they were making the holes as a necessary prerequisite to finding the leak and that YOU would need to engage a plasterer to repair the holes at your cost.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.
I have placed some edits in the text below.

What did you ask him to do?
I told him there was a leak coming from under the bath that I needed sorting.

So what did he say about the leak?
He would need to have a look under the bath and suspected an issue with the waste overflow so he told me they should be replaced. He did this and filled up the bath and water leaked into the room below

Why was it leaking?
I suspected a problem with the water jet system fitted into the bath

What was needed for repairing it?
He said a new bath but I wanted to check if the water jet issue could be fixed.

What did he say before making any holes?
He didn't say anything about damage would be my problem or he wouldnt be liable for any remedial repairs. He just made the first hole under the bath and checked for water leaks. I asked him if he would repair it and he said yes.Although he didn't need to do this as after the 3rd hole- I said that the only hole to be repaired was the one in the ceiling. At this point he still didnt say anything about not being responsible for fixing it.

Many would suggest BEFORE making any holes that they were making the holes as a necessary prerequisite to finding the leak and that YOU would need to engage a plasterer to repair the holes at your cost.
I agree that he should of told me this before hand!!!

T

I agree that he should of told me this before hand!!!

Notwithstanding the possibility that your plumber is not very professional, why would the hole be any ones responsibility but yours? Making the hole was probably a necessary and normal course of action, rather than an accident, such as slipping a foot through a ceiling. Even if he did repair the hole himself, or engage a contractor, then you would be fairly liable for the cost.

In my view in all cases of damage being required to diagnose a problem needs to be fully discussed BEFORE the holes are made so the customer knows exactly who pays for what and how much its likely to cost.

Tony

In my view in all cases of damage being required to diagnose a problem needs to be fully discussed BEFORE the holes are made so the customer knows exactly who pays for what and how much its likely to cost.

Tony

Tony dear boy, standing looking at a clone Jacuzzi bath & panel, there's no way on God's earth you'd know a)How much damage would be caused to find a leak b)Where a leak is coming from.

These baths are rubbish & what with pump, jets, pipes & joints, you must be looking at about 150 potential sources of a leak!!

OP get real mate & give the Plumber a break, he's a Plumber not a Plasterer & if he's local to you, if you pizz him off, who you gonna call on Xmas day when you have a problem with heating or water, Santa??!!

it`s just professional to tell the custard what`s what beforehand.

it`s just professional to tell the custard what`s what beforehand.

Exactly Nigel!

That's why I said it earlier!

But nice of you to confirm that my approach is truly professional!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back