Plumbing Error?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my plumber has just fitted my new bath and taps and plumbed in the pipework for the new mixer shower to the wall which he's yet to fit, however on close inspection I see that the pipework to the wall is not centrally aligned with the bath or the bath taps so the shower will be fitted off centre. My immediate instinct is that this is not right and he's measured incorrectly, please help, any feedback is greatly appreciated before I speak to him. He's also left me with two leaks under the bath which I will be speaking to him about anyway...thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally would be central and 150mm apart, hot on lhs. Though if you take into account your screen which will sit on the top edge of the bath, you could have the valve slightly to one side so it's central between the screen and the wall....

Two thoughts.

1) I've occasionally fitted one deliberately off centre so when you stand in the shower the shower flexible comes off the mixer in the centre of where you're standing.

2) There's something in the wall which means to fit it centrally would be a lot more work.

Some plumbers may fit the control valve off centre and the riser for the shower head would then be fitted centrall to the bath

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for feedback. It's a Bristan Colonial shower so the pipe goes right up with overhead rigid riser so no lean left or right. I do know he said the wall was tricky. I suspected the shower screen theory and I think thats what he will say, however do you think the shower taps will look odd to the bath taps fitted in this manner? I just can't see a way around how to fix this. I'm trying to figure out if I'm the one thats picky or he's been sloppy.

If that is the case, I can't see any obstruction or reason for it not to be central.

Get him to takecit out and do it again. It might be an inconvenience but your paying for it and It does sound sloppy.

It doesn't sound like a hard one to cut.
Are the pipes plastic or copper?

The pipes are copper and the plasterers have already been, so it will be a faff to re-do it, plus he's not the most approachable person as he got very agitated when questioned about a separate issue today. I'm so disappointed :cry:

Most people don't like being critisized, thinkvabout your approach.

It shouldn't matter that the plasterers have been, he should be able to re do it and fill it in before tiling

Remember it's your money, your bathroom and you've gotto live with it

I should add, its a couple of hours work, not exactly life changing.

Compliment him on something else he has done well first ;)

Valve should definately be central on a shower such as this. If plaster is new, it shouldn't be such a hard job for the plumber to move the pipes and re-fill the wall. Wall will be covered in tiles after all.

Also. make sure you keep details of the shower valve ( make, model, serial no etc) as the valves on this type of shower sometimes seize up after a year or two so it will be easier for you to get a replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back