Unpleasant Smell in Hot Water (Megaflo System)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am hoping someone can help me as I have tried contacting everyone/researching online and not found any solution so far - this is unfortunately my last hope:

I recently moved into a new flat and have noticed that the hot water has a really unpleasant smell. The flat is using a Megaflo system and although the building itself has been built in 2004, I am not sure if the boiler has been at this flat throughout this duration or if it was replaced at one point.

The issue I am currently experiencing is that everytime I run the hot water, an unpleasant smell is in the water which is very noticeable. This smell remains throughout the duration that the hot water is on for, and the smell is also not limited to one single tap. All the hot water from other taps contain this smell.

It has to be noted though that this smell ONLY exists in the hot water and NOT cold water - However, I have noticed that the hotter the water is... the stronger the smell, which could simply mean that the increase in the temperature of the water is bringing out a smell in a chemical that may exist in the cold water aswell... but not noticeable to my sense of smell unless it is heated. This means that when I ran the hot water tap for a really long time, so that the hot water in the cylinder eventually ran out, the smell in the water from the hot tap went away/faded (as it was getting lukewarm and colder) - but once it heated up again it was back to smelling bad strongly.

I have already contacted many plumbers and they do not have an idea why the boiler is causing this smell - one plumber recommended that I clean the system using hydrogen peroxide or chlorine bleach, which he ended up doing - but this only fixed the issue for 1-2 days and now the smell has slowly redeveloped and is back to its original state.

If you have any recommendations or any idea why this is happening then I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

P.S. I would love to explain what it smells like but I simply cant put my finger on it, one of the plumbers said it smelt like hot sugar but I really doubt that its that - it just seems like a strange unpleasant smell to me.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I have a rm unvented so similar. if this smell is organic in nature it might be a build-up of bacteria in the tank. I should check the temp settings on the Hot Water thermostat and immersion stats. if there set below 60c try increasing it to 60c and give a full heatup from the boiler, as this is usually the lowest heat source in the tank. hopefully that will kill off any bacteria.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back