unreadable discs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep getting more and more unreadable dvd discs. These are tv programmes that I've recorded but no longer play. They look clean with no scratches so I'm puzzled why they can't be read. I thought it maybe the dvd player conking out so I bought a new one and still the same problem. Any ideas how to possibly clean them?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend cleaning. It's unlikely to improve things, and it may even make things worse.

Presuming you still have a computer with a DVD burner in it, try making a copy of the disc using free software such as MakeMKV.

The PC can do a better job of reading difficult discs, and burning a fresh copy gives your home DVD recorder the easiest time of it for playback.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

The laser in your DVD player might be dying.

Based on my experience with laptop/PC DVD recorders. They start to struggle with recordable DVDs, then as time goes on they can't read prepurchased DVDs and eventually can't read CDs.

Try the disks in another player, if they work then, sorry to say, but your player is on the way out.

The laser in your DVD player might be dying.

A dying laser is one of the most common causes, but in this case @dustnbones2 already considered that possibility and so purchased another DVD player. So long as that wasn't some old used machine then can you really point at a failing laser?

I think there are two possible scenarios. Either the original recorder and both of the DVD players are just slightly outside the tolerances for compatibility. That. or it's a disc issue.

Given that the disc have played before, then I'd rule out a compatibility issue. The gradual decline suggests a disc issue to me.

DVDR discs use a dye layer to capture and hold the state change initiated by the laser during recording. Being a dye means it's not permanently stable. Each play bombards it with new light. Exposure to daylight does the same. Hell, there might even be some kind of chemical reaction gradually eroding the data pits on a molecular level. Put simply, the written surface is decaying. It's the same kind of thing you might see when a newspaper fades when left on a window sill.

New DVD players and disc cleaning aren't going to fix this.

The task now is to grab the data from the disc before too much is gone that it's totally unreadable. The error correction in a DVD player only goes so far. It can't take several goes at reading a bad few sectors, but a PC DVD can because it has the processing power and the means to buffer the data to build a more complete 'picture' after several goes at reading.

In summary then, the problem is in the disc at a microscopic level which is why you can't see an issue. It won't stop or improve. If the recordings are precious, then make a hard drive back-up NOW. Don't wait. Try the software I listed in the first reply.

Once you have a data file, keep a copy on a hard drive and make a DVD version for everyday playback. Use good quality, branded, blank media. This won't solve the disc degradation problem, but it will mean that the discs should be playable for longer.

No domestic data recording medium is permanent. The best you can do is to backup across a couple or three different platforms.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
sorry Lucid. I missed the bit about trying another player- my bad..

No worries. I've done it myself when dashing off a quick reply :)

Thanks for your replies. My trouble is though I can't make a copy because it isn't being recognised. Sadly it loks like the discs are duff.

Thanks for your replies. My trouble is though I can't make a copy because it isn't being recognised. Sadly it loks like the discs are duff.
What; not even readable by a computer DVD drive?

That would suggest that the table of contents (TOC) is missing.

Have you finalised the discs before trying to play them in another machine?

That would suggest that the table of contents (TOC) is missing.

Have you finalised the discs before trying to play them in another machine?

The discs were playable. Then they weren't. I bought a new dvd player and that also didn't work, although a few other unplayable dvds were playable on the new player.

Without any substantial new info from you, then there's not really a lot to add here.

VLC Media Player will play most things, so even if Windows or Win Media Player don't recognise the disc then VLC might. Having said that, if the disc's are so corrupt that the TOC can't be read then you're out of luck with the standard players.

Your next stop is data recovery or going to find the TV programmes if they exist some other place. That's okay for mainstream stuff but not so practical for one-offs or something regional.

'Your next stop is data recovery'
Yes that seems the only option now. I do find it odd though that recordable dvds haven't the quality of pre recorded dvds. All the dvds I have of progammes/films etc bought off the shelf have never been a problem. You'd think in this high tech age recordable discs would be less prone to corruption.
Oh well, thanks for your and other people's help and time though.

Pre-recorded DVD have an aluminium data layer, it's kind of laser-etched in a way that's only possible with a large, high-power, commercial duplicating plant costing as much as the average starter-home.

With the best will in the world, even the best domestic units at £500-£1000 haven't a cat-in-hells chance of generating the sort of power required to accurately burn laser pits in alu. That's why they use a dye layer instead. It's easier to change without running up a huge leccy bill :)

Good luck.

Pre-recorded DVD have an aluminium data layer, it's kind of laser-etched in a way that's only possible with a large, high-power, commercial duplicating plant costing as much as the average starter-home.

With the best will in the world, even the best domestic units at £500-£1000 haven't a cat-in-hells chance of generating the sort of power required to accurately burn laser pits in alu. That's why they use a dye layer instead. It's easier to change without running up a huge leccy bill :)

Good luck.

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back