Unresponsive Ideal Isar HE30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Isar HE30. For some time the LED display hasn't worked however the boiler has worked fine. Recently we were having a radiator moved and so the system was emptied. The plumber refilled the system before he left. Unfortunately we then looked to use hot water however there was none. Upon checking the boiler, it appears to be completely unresponsive. Turning it on and off doesn't result in any sort of noise as if it's firing etc.... We have a wireless thermostat receiver which is showing power going to that before the boiler.

I appreciate without the LED display I cant provide an error code but any suggestions? As said it is completely unresponsive it appears making no sort of noise etc....

Thanks all and enjoy the weekend

Sponsored Links
A conscientious plumber would have checked the boiler was still working on heating after fitting the new radiator.

Was he Gas Safe registered and so expected to have experience of boilers? If so call him back today!

Or was he a basic non gas reg plumber perhaps from East Europe who did a cheap job and paid cash in hand with no likelihood of ever coming back again?

Hi Agile. The plumber is indeed registered. He is also happy to return to take a look but unfortunately he traveled abroad for 3 weeks the day after it. He isn't due to return for another 17 days. He's British too and is a local neighbour who works for a large heating company by day :(

Heat exchanger will be leaking onto wire to user control taking out main PCB, wiring harness and user control.
About £600-£700 in parts then 2/3 hours labour on a 10year old boiler.
Skip it.

Sponsored Links
It may well not be that bad!

Since it has been ( unusually ) working for a while with no display then it might be still capable of working without needing serious new parts.

BUT, the boiler has an auto air vent higher up and when the water pressure is drained and refilled that can leak and it conveniently drips onto the back to back adapter on the display adapter and can result on an overload on the PCB mains transformer and require a new pcb.

But the tiny back to back adapter is not sold separately. You need to buy a bit which if you are lucky will contain it, that is if it has not already been nicked.

Totally repairable boilers if you have an unlimited supply of spare parts !

If the system is to be depressurised it is safer to close the boiler isolation valves so that the boiler stays isolated, even so they may leak.

When I first saw that model at fancy publicity evening with buffet food my comment was that the AAV is conveniently located to spill water on electrical parts.

Not sure which came first but the Keston also employed the same design concept.

Last edited:
It may well not be that bad!

Since it has been ( unusually ) working for a while with no display then it might be still capable of working without needing serious new parts.

BUT, the boiler has an auto air vent higher up and when the water pressure is drained and refilled that can leak and it conveniently drips onto the back to back adapter on the display adapter and can result on an overload on the PCB mains transformer and require a new pcb.

But the tiny back to back adapter is not sold separately. You need to buy a bit which if you are lucky will contain it, that is if it has not already been nicked.

Totally repairable boilers if you have an unlimited supply of spare parts !

If the system is to be depressurised it is safer to close the boiler isolation valves so that the boiler stays isolated, even so they may leak.

When I first saw that model at fancy publicity evening with buffet food my comment was that the AAV is conveniently located to spill water on electrical parts.

Not sure which came first but the Keston also employed the same design concept.
Back to back connection is available it's called user control housing and I have 4 in my van.
If the display is now blank and unresponsive then 95/% certain board gone too.
Where has water come from? 99.99% from red seal on main hex.
I might know a wee tiny bit more than you @Agile anout the ins an outs of these.

The display was also blank before this issue but boiler still working.

Most I see with connector failed have either leaked from AAV or the right pipe connection.

Tony the Hex will be Fecked. The seal will be gone and has taken out the connections on the low voltage harness and rear of user control and housing.
This, if left then takes out main PCB.
So hex, PCB, user control, purple wiring lead(now black) and user control housing for starters.
If it's an UZ serial number then diverter cartridge probably sticking.
Then let's get to S trap and hose that will be blocked.
Oh wait if the hex(or AAV) has been leaking last 10 years as no one has serviced it, I hope it hasn't rotted off the rivets for gas valve as that means combustion chamber compromised so new boiler time.

Back to back connection is available it's called user control housing and I have 4 in my van.
If the display is now blank and unresponsive then 95/% certain board gone too.
Where has water come from? 99.99% from red seal on main hex.
I might know a wee tiny bit more than you @Agile anout the ins an outs of these.
How dare you question one of the top 100 gas engineers, bet you weren't even at the fancy publicity meeting with buffet

There were 100 engineers there!

Nice buffet.

Fancy film.

Rare opportunity to talk to people from their design team.

Met one of them again when the second boiler that I had fitted did not work properly and they insisted on visiting it to see it themselves rather than let me fix it.

I fitted seven of them and in the first two years needed 8 new PCBs.

Almost had a problem with a heat only as they only had a one year warranty and it failed after 13 months. But nice tech director ( now retired ) sent me a new one!

Wasn't it you Tony that once said Vaillant contacted you for some advise regarding their boilers???:eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
BS..;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back