Unscrewing a shower plughole for cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

We have a newish shower which is very slow to drain. Tried a plunger, a coil, drain unblockers, no joy. I'm trying to unscrew the metal piece at the top, which prevents me getting access to the drain itself. This has three vertical 'blades' just below the level of the pan. There is a hole between these blades which seems too narrow to take a screwdriver. Below these is a circular piece of metal in the middle that blocks access to the drain. At the sides, between the blades, there are small plastic pieces that seem as if you might be able to press them in (but I can't). I've tried rotating the whole piece with my fingers between the blades, and it shifts slightly but that's it. Any advice? Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Should just pull straight out. Who fitted the shower? Could be that the waste pipe isn't run correctly and isn't draining out, rather than being blocked. Is it possible to expose the waste run?

Hmm, definitely doesn't pull out. We've just moved in, so don't know who fitted it. When you say the waste pipe might not be run correctly, would that mean the angle is wrong so the pipe runs slightly 'up-hill'? Everything is tiled in, and I can't see any way of accessing the pipework. Many thanks for your thoughts!

Maybe try a Rothenberger ro pump force pump - or similar make - More powerful than a plunger.

Sponsored Links
Try a bit harder and maybe some grips and twist at the same time. It will def pull out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back