Unswitched sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking at sorting out an area in our hall where we intend to have a modem and a separate router that already has a twin electrical socket (switched). Is it within regs to swap a switched socket for a non switched socket and / or add a non switched socket?

Part of the works I'm looking at doing is to also add a new socket into the ring in this area, eg the single socket.

Double Electric Socket | Router | Ethernet | BT | Modem | Single Electric Socket

Because only the router will be plugged into the double socket would it be best for the twin sockets to both be switched, as the spare would most likely be used on a temporary basis, such as, for a vacuum cleaner.

Kind regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
Switch or unswitched does not matter, spurring form spurs on a ring does, as will the presents of RCD protection and proving the work done is safe

As said nothing to say a socket should be switched. When extending a ring I find the LAP grid switch system sockets very handy as you can fit two single sockets into a 4 module plate which fits directly into a standard double socket box giving one the two points to extend a ring from. The two sockets are not switched.

But as again already said the RCD is a major problem when not fitted in the consumer unit as new buried cables and sockets need RCD protection even though no need to up-grade the old.

Yes in theroy you could use Ali-tube cable but buying short lengths is hard. So in the main the RCD FCU is the way. Since you will want power to auto return after power cut a passive type RCD is required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back