Can I convert round 3 pin socket to standard socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few round pin sockets in my sitting room - which I assume are BS546 (I don't know anything about electrics, but not bad at google!) as I have a light switch that doesn't appear to do anything. Is it possible to convert one of these sockets to a standard socket - or perhaps replace the plug on an extension lead with a bs546 plug and plug that in......and then plug stuff into the extension sockets? I'm just looking to plug in my modem, router and NAS. If I can do this, is there any way to prevent the light switch controlling it ( don't want to turn my modem off accidently when I turn the lights on / off!).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No those sockets are designed for plugging lights into only. If you replace them with standard sockets there is nothing to prevent someone plugging in a load to heavy for a lighting circuit.

If you could get a FUSED plugtop to fit, providing the fuse is low rated, i cant see a reason not to make a lead up, once the router things are plugged in, and no spare outlets and the load acceptable its not likely to be removed i suppose. maybe im missing something.

I don't think you can describe BS1362 as standard and BS546 as non standard, they are both standards, bit I digress.

I presume you also have BS1362 sockets in your sitting room so why not use one of these with your proposed extension lead? Leave the round pin sockets as they are. You might even use them as intended in the future.

Rocky, they are plugs, not plugtops which are well lids for plugs for want of a better word.

Sponsored Links
So one socket is fitted in every single home, office and factory in the country, and the other is found in theatres and a few homes for the connection of a specific type of equipment, but the BS1362 socket isn't the standard outlet in the uk?

Try asking for a plugtop at the wholesalers and see what they give you...

You don't half post some nonsense on here :rolleyes:

If professional people on here don't know the difference between a plug and it's top I'm not surprised counter staff don't know either.

If professional people on here don't know the difference between a plug and it's top I'm not surprised counter staff don't know either.
This seems to be one of the more ridiculous bits of electrical jargon which somehow arose. Who on earth invented this 'plugtop' thing - and, more to the point, WHY?

Kind Regards, John

It's an old-fashioned thing, but nevertheless it still survives: these manufacturers, retailers and pro's are all wrong?
Are you sure that it's 'old-fashioned' - I've been around for a good while, but it's only in the last couple of decades or so that I've seen/heard any mention of 'plugtops' - and, when I first heard it, I assumed (incorrectly) that it 'meant what it said'!!.

Anyway, whatever it's age, how did it arise? Are you suggesting that there was a time when 'plugtops' and 'plugbottoms' (the latter of which I've never heard of!) were available separately, or what?

Kind Regards, John

He he.

I have just read in another place where it has been pointed out that 'plug tops' do not have fuses.

This may confuse some but, of course, the fuse is in the plug bottom.

Didn't I read on here that the "plug top" contained the switch, when sockets didn't have switches ?
Maybe - but I wonder what 'when' you are referring to. One thing which the sockets of the 50s and 60s did usually have was switches - and, as I've said, it was a few decades after that when I first heard of 'plugtop'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back