Unusal nut on basin tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, attached picture of our basin tap (hot tap). The tap is loose, when attempting to remove the cap, it has a unusal shape nut. How would you remove this? Would you use a hex socket driver? The nut is about 7mm diameter. I tried a pliers but it does not fit the small area around the tap head and just spins on the nut (even a small pliers).

Thanks.

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 202
Sponsored Links
That's not a nut. There was a screw running down the middle of that and someone has sheared the head off it. New tap time I'm afraid

Hi, thanks for the reply. The mixer tap was brand new only 2 years old. We brought it from Victoria Plumbing and the guy who installed it, we were there watching. No one removed any screw. The tap is Hudson Reed Tec Lever Basin Mixer Tap - TEL315. Could it be thats how they make the taps?

Sponsored Links
A quick call to H&R will give you the info you need I'm sure, their support is usually pretty good.

Same problem. Thanks for putting on forum. I’m after the same answer!

I spoke to HR Technical, he advised that the tap heads can be pulled out and it does not have a screw. The ring nut under cap is just for design purposes. The tap head does not pull it. When I looked at it again, I twisted the central area under the tap head (cold tap - anticlockwise - opens), it spins out from the central base of the monobloc. You now have access to everything (cartridge etc.). In my case it looks like two black coloured discs (like a thickened ring) is split. I'm not sure what they are. Its not a washer. The discs are about 8mm thick and looks like ceramic - snapped off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back