Unusual 1930s taps - cant open them + need to replace washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone come across these type of taps before? I need to replace a washer but cannot seem to open them and I dont want to damage them! I can't work out where the access point is![/img]

Sponsored Links
Spanner on the hex bit and unscrew the lower main body. There's a name for these but I've forgotten. You won't have to wait long to find out. ;)

I think. They were called supataps, i believe you dont have to turn the water off to change the washer, but dont quote me on that. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I think. They were called supataps, I believe you dont have to turn the water off to change the washer, but dont quote me on that. :eek:
I`ll not only quote you - I`ve thanked you cuz you`re right :!:

supataps.jpg
repairing-supataps-1.jpg

repairing-supataps-3.jpg
supatap2.jpg

repairing-supataps-2_thumb.jpg

Then reverse the proceedure with one of these:
L103087008600.png

Wow thanks for all the responses, thats really helpful. However I still cant get them open! It actually looks like the gland nut on my tap is not separate to the rest of the tap body. I'm a little worried of damaging the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back