How to open a tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking tap that I am unable to open to see any washers. There is a small hole at the back -see attached - that looks a bit like where a screw could go but I dont recognize the type of fitting, and might struggle to access as there is only about an inch between this and the wall. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this open?
thanks

Attachments

• 20180101_122636 (2).jpg
    20180101_122636 (2).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180101_123703 (2).jpg
    20180101_123703 (2).jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Allen key ( hexagonal wrench L shaped) or maybe a torx , can't tell from pic ,but looks hexagonal.

Thanks but I'm not sure it is hexagonal. It seems circular with a bump near the top of the photo. In the centre is a hole which seems quite deep.

At a guess I’d say.
Unscrew the handles.
Probably a grub screw under head.
Then the cylindrical bit touching the tap body will unscrew to reveal the cartridge.
No washers though you’ll need a replacement cartridge

Sponsored Links
Thanks but I'm not sure it is hexagonal. It seems circular with a bump near the top of the photo. In the centre is a hole which seems quite deep.
Never seen anything like you describe. Maybe someone else on the forum has. Phil's post is referring to removal of the tap handle etc ,but I think you are trying to remove the spout ?

Any suggestions as to how to unscrew the handles? There are no screws.
Thanks

1. If you reduce the size of the photo to restore clarity it looks like a grub screw and almost certainly requires an Allen key, usually 2.0 or 2.5 mm.
2. The leak appears to be from where the spout swivels. If so you'll need to remove the spout and see if you can find replacement O rings.
3. If you want to remove the cartridges you'll have to remove the handles. Taps look a bit like Franke, and some of these have grub screws with Allen key sockets in the shrouds, at the bottom, near to where the shrouds meet the main body of the tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back