Unusual airlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a direct feed electric shower that has always, for a few years now, worked perfectly, until a short time back when a nearby farm had to start irrigating in the mornings. They have stopped doing this now.

When they were irrigating this seemed to affect our water pressure (our house was once the property of the farm) and the water came very erratically through the shower (with massive changes in temperature!). However, the water continued to flow ok through all the other taps in the house.

The water supply to the shower comes from the general pipework near to the tank and is not directly in line with the pipe supplying either the bath or the hand basin.

This has never happened before but now, when running the shower the water just dribbles out of the showerhead, accompanied by screeching. But, if I turn on the cold tap of either the bath or the handbasin this immediately releases the full pressure through the shower.

It seems to be a sort of airlock but I can't figure out why the air bubble, if it is one, hasn't been blown out once the shower is operating at full tilt?

Anyone got any ideas why this situation has arisen, and more importantly, how I can correct it?

Sponsored Links
could be a micro switch in the shower on the cold supply :confused:

I haven't opened up the control panel because the shower works off the mains supply of cold water, therefore I think it unlikely there would be a cold water switch and I don't remember seeing any such switch when I installed the unit originally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back