Airlock in water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hope you can help. We appear to have an airlock in the hot and cold water system. Water does not come out of either the hot or cold taps. İ have run maıns water through each tap and everything seems ok for a while then the problem reoccurs and water will not come out of either tap. The cold water tank in the loft is full up. Any suggestıons please? Thank you. PS. A shower pump runs off the bath taps to feed a power shower - I don't know if this is relevant?

Sponsored Links
Could be the shower pump, sounds like a terrible installation. The pump should have it's own dedicated cold feed coming from the loft tank, and a dedicated hot feed off the hot water cylinder either as a Surrey or an Essex Flange.

Try running mains to the hot and cold again to clear the airlock (give it a good long flush to make sure, but be careful not to overflow the loft tank) then carry on as normal for longer a day or two longer than it normally takes for the problem to reoccur but without using the shower (you have a bath so you can still get clean...) if everything seems OK use the shower and see if the problem returns, if it does then this is what is causing it.

It may also be that the shower pump is draining the loft tank, in which case it's undersized and needs upgrading. Move the pump feeds to the correct positions at the same time.

Are you saying that you have an airlock in your cold water mains?

Sponsored Links
No Charlie, the airlock is in the low pressure system

From his cold taps, isn`t that mains pressure, how can a mains fed tap be airlocked? I`m not trying to be clever, it`s a genuine question.

No Charlie, the airlock is in the low pressure system

From his cold taps, isn`t that mains pressure, how can a mains fed tap be airlocked? I`m not trying to be clever, it`s a genuine question.

No, I understand from his description that he has low pressure hot and cold systems in his bathroom, and that he has run a mains feed from somewhere else to back-feed the taps to try to clear the airlock. You are quite correct that a mains tap wouldn't airlock.

Right, got it, his bathroom cold supply is tank fed, thanks, not unusual for low pressure mains supplies years ago, I believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back