Unusual angle for corner angle beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started to renovate an old cottage and have started to dry line some of the walls, as there's no insulation - render onto stone, very cold!

Anyway the problem I've got is attaching the corner bead around the opening for the windows as the angle isn't anywhere near 90 degrees, it's more like 45 degrees! This is an old cottage with 600mm thick stone walls, where the window openings 'flare' out from the window frames. Any ideas??

I'm also using jointing compound to hide and feather in the beads prior to sealing. Is this right??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I've started to renovate an old cottage and have started to dry line some of the walls, as there's no insulation - render onto stone, very cold!

Anyway the problem I've got is attaching the corner bead around the opening for the windows as the angle isn't anywhere near 90 degrees, it's more like 45 degrees! This is an old cottage with 600mm thick stone walls, where the window openings 'flare' out from the window frames. Any ideas??

I'm also using jointing compound to hide and feather in the beads prior to sealing. Is this right??

Cheers

You could use a 3mm stop bead, but you will have to put a scrim on first to stop cracking . You could also use corner tape if jointing, which is a paper tape with a piece of metal stuck on each side of the middle, but be careful rubbing it down -don't over do it or you will tear the paper.

How are you fixing the boards to the wall.

thanks Micilin

im using dry wall screws on to wooden batons, also you say scrim first to stop cracking, is this tape (sorry to sound stupid)?

Sponsored Links
thanks Micilin

im using dry wall screws on to wooden batons, also you say scrim first to stop cracking, is this tape (sorry to sound stupid)?

Stupid is not asking the question :D !

Tape is fine, I only said scrim out of habit.

(Most jointers only use tape in the internals, and scrim on the flat just because it is a bit easer, but why buy scrim if you have tape there. )

An angle bead or corner tape will tie in both boards, but a stop bead won't, so the joint needs to be taped first.

I wan only asking about the fixing, as sticking (dot and dab) on to stone sometimes has problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back