Unvented Cylinder Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any restriction on the location of an unvented cylinder. I've read that they need PRV pipework, does that mean they need to be against an external wall?

Sponsored Links
no, the discharge pipework can be routed under floors, inside walls but it must have a fall. check out building regs part g and cylinders manufacturers instructions. the discharge pipework must terminate in a safe visable location at low level to be safe.

Of course you'll have a G3 qualification to install, commission & register a unvented cylinder??

Sponsored Links
Ignore Dick, he's forgotten to take his sedative

You can put a UV cylinder pretty much wherever you like provided you can find a route out for the discharge pipework, but be aware that longer runs will require the pipe to be upgraded to a larger size

Ignore Dick, he's forgotten to take his sedative

You can put a UV cylinder pretty much wherever you like provided you can find a route out for the discharge pipework, but be aware that longer runs will require the pipe to be upgraded to a larger size

Far from the case M & frankly you should not be advising DaftyDIYers on illegal work. I'm G3 qualified & paid for the training & refreshers.

You're mistaken. I have absolutely no desire to install a water cylinder, I'm just trying to plan for when I need to replace my boilermate and trying to decide which option might be suitable before I bother to call out an engineer.

Yes, when the chap comes to do the free quote, tell him you know how it's done because you've discussed it with some anonymous types on an internet forum, who you trust more than him.

That'll start you off on a good footing.

This is all gotten very negative. I have a basic grasp of social interaction, thanks. I was just simply trying to get straight in my own mind what my options might be. I appreciate a qualified installer is the only way to be sure, and this is obviously the route I will go down.

I would say that around 50% of unvented installs I see are not to G3, whether or not the fitter was a G3 ticketholder. Usually the issues are with the discharge pipework, if there is any!

There is a book that you get on the (4hr) course, if you read this you would know as much as anyone else. As far as I have seen, most installers eat the book and use the cylinder instructions as a teacup coaster.

Things I look at when quoting to put in an unvented;

- water flow rate available?
- static pressure available?
- drainage, if the thing is going in a cellar, are there mains drains?
- length of discharge pipe needed and whether the appropriate gravity fall to outside is there
- whether the floor is likely to take the weight?
- if in a loft or similar, make an allowance for the lower flow rate and pressure resulting from altitude?
- if in a loft, make special note of floor loading?
- are the existing showers compatible with a mains system?
- if the customer has pumped showers, is the unvented likely to be better or worse in terms of performance (back to pressure and flow available)?

This is all gotten very negative. I have a basic grasp of social interaction, thanks. I was just simply trying to get straight in my own mind what my options might be. I appreciate a qualified installer is the only way to be sure, and this is obviously the route I will go down.

That made me laff!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back