unvented cylinder...split location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a new unvented cylinder being installed by plumber whom I have used before and is very good, very technical and has Benchmark qual etc. However due to the unique physical location and tight space of the property it would be much easier (avoid a nightmare) if the inlet set was installed in a different room to the actual cylinder, ie in a utility room where water main arrives. Functionally and canonically the installation will still be identical to the regular unvented cylinder set up. The only difference is that there would be several metres of pipework (instead of several centimetres) from the inlet set to the unvented cylinders input (the cylinder being in an different room).
The only practical impact is that a seperate drain needs to be provided (easy) for the inlet set discharge since it cannot share the discharge drain of the overtemp valve/tundish on the cylinder.

Question
Does anyone see any problem with this? Functionally it is identical to a regular setup. The plumber hasnt done it before and although we cannot see a problem with it, we felt it useful to get some other opinions. The technical dept of the cylinder manufacturer doesnt have an opinion!!

Is there a firm requirement that the inlet set has to be colocated right beside the cylinder?

The only issue that we can think of is that it might be "recommended" that the cylinder has its stop valve locally, ie very close by..... The stop valve is of course normally PRIOR to the inlet set so would not be possible.

The cylinder will NOT have a local stop valve. Indeed we want be sure NOT to add any stop valve on the pipework after the inlet set and before the cylinder, which would otherwise isolate the cylinder from the expansion valve function of the inlet set (potentially disasterous i would guess).

I am not a plumber myself but an engineer who has a good understanding of how unvented systems operate. The plumber is very technical.

Please dont tell us ..."it is not recommended". We know that. We want to know if it is prohibited!

Any opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Imo I don't see a problem in that set up as long as there is no valve between combination valve and cylinder seen it before .

Mark

Seen it before. As long as all safety reliefs are not compromised then there should be no issue.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou both for taking time to comment. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back