Unvented cylinder not notified

As far as I can tell from the legislation, unlike gas work, there is nothing to prevent any G3 person from commissioning and registering an unvented which he has not fitted.
Tony
Will you give the "legislation" on the part in which I underlined that states that please?

What you are saying is that a Gas Safe man cannot do a boiler change as he never fitted in the pipework to the rads.

A BCO can sign of an unvented cylinder and they do.

Sponsored Links
It is not permitted by Gas Safe Register for unqualified people to fit boilers, flues and gas pipe and then someone registered to come along separately and sign it off.
Will you please point to the law that says so?

There isn't one, building control will happily approve your own handiwork.........for a substantial fee.
Don't they send around a Gas Safe man who is on their "approved" list to inspect. They do that with unvented cylinders, by sending out a G3 man. They do not have their own men as such. A Building Control Officer can sign an unvented cylinder off and they do. They do it when selfbuilders install their own unvented cylinders. The BCO man is being paid for by the selfbuilder.

What I have seen on a number of clustered new builds is that unregistered men fit all, rads, pipes, boilers, flues, unvented cylinders, etc. They are just bits of metal until commissioned. They fill up with water and put in the X-100 in the radiators. Most installations are the same in each house, so easy after the first. NO heat is applied to the unvented cylinder. They cap off the gas pipe at the meter position and install a test nipple on the pipe at the boiler. They air test the gas installation, then cover over the pipes in screed, etc. The BCO signs off the unvented, not a G3 man. The Gas supplier fits the meter and tests with gas in the pipes. A Gas Safe man commissions and signs off the boiler.

Drivel, a BC inspector is a) Not G3 qualified & b) Would not complete the Unvented cylinder Benchmark.
It's a Benchmark that should be completed by the qualified installer. As confirmed by Kingspan Tribune's Tech Department on Friday.

As far as I can tell from the legislation, unlike gas work, there is nothing to prevent any G3 person from commissioning and registering an unvented which he has not fitted.
Tony
Will you give the "legislation" on the part in which I underlined that states that please?

What you are saying is that a Gas Safe man cannot do a boiler change as he never fitted in the pipework to the rads.

A BCO can sign of an unvented cylinder and they do.

No they can't & in my experience wouldn't. The installer must sign off his own installation mate, page 24 & 38.
http://www.heatraesadia.com/docs/Megaflo_eco_-_36006062_issue_09.pdf

Sponsored Links
It is not permitted by Gas Safe Register for unqualified people to fit boilers, flues and gas pipe and then someone registered to come along separately and sign it off.

There isn't one, building control will happily approve your own handiwork.........for a substantial fee.
Don't they send around a Gas Safe man who is on their "approved" list to inspect. They do that with unvented cylinders, by sending out a G3 man. They do not have their own men as such. A Building Control Officer can sign an unvented cylinder off and they do. They do it when selfbuilders install their own unvented cylinders. The BCO man is being paid for by the selfbuilder.

What I have seen on a number of clustered new builds is that unregistered men fit all, rads, pipes, boilers, flues, unvented cylinders, etc. They are just bits of metal until commissioned. They fill up with water and put in the X-100 in the radiators. Most installations are the same in each house, so easy after the first. NO heat is applied to the unvented cylinder. They cap off the gas pipe at the meter position and install a test nipple on the pipe at the boiler. They air test the gas installation, then cover over the pipes in screed, etc. The BCO signs off the unvented, not a G3 man. The Gas supplier fits the meter and tests with gas in the pipes. A Gas Safe man commissions and signs off the boiler.

Drivel, a BC inspector is a) Not G3 qualified & b) Would not complete the Unvented cylinder Benchmark.
It's a Benchmark that should be completed by the qualified installer. As confirmed by Kingspan Tribune's Tech Department on Friday.
It is not drivel. I have seen the BCO sign them off. Page 38:

All installations must be notified to Local Area Building Control either directly or through a Competent Persons Scheme. A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate will then be issued to the customer who should, on receipt, write the Notification Number on the Checklist.

I have seen BCOs sign them off on site, seeing the operation of the controls. The BCO is the 3G man, he is the ultimate. You are on about how the makers interpret it. A BCO signing one off is enough, the ultimate. This will probably not affect many who read this forum. On a site with many dwellings the BCO will sign unvented cylinders off, a G3 man not needed.

In normal circumstances when an unvented cylinder is fitted into a lived in home, then a G3 man has to do the lot, unlike with gas. There was a loophole in the law that allowed pressurised unvented thermal stores with only a 3bar PRV. I think that has now been plugged and it falls into G3.

Last edited:
The BCO's I've had anything to do with knew sod all about what they were looking at ;so I would be surprised if they did, but the Mr Harrison is a consummate bullsh|tter anyway.

Last chap that came to look at a boiler room we did was more interested in the lagging on the pipes than the 140kW heat engine sat in from of him, or the 320 litre underneath. Would have been interesting to watch him pick apart the control panel to see if the system was G3 let alone Part L compliant.

But there was a mahoooosive box of lagging propped up against the boiler house wall so he was happy. When we pointed out the big fook off label on the box saying "Class O Armaflex"

In fact, the one before that - I was producing a report for a customer about to go legal on the previous installers - was even more useless and didn't know the basic requirements under G3. System signed off previously was totally non-compliant and potentially dangerous. BCO went to look and I had to point out the omissions to him over the phone.

But if Water Systems, Dr Drivel, Big Burner, Harrison, or whatever this knob end wants to call himself in this incarnation says it is so, then it must be :rolleyes:.

My experiences mirror Dan's, so that makes me a chav too.

Most of the tradesmen on here don't hide behind aliases, and someone who really wanted to know could find our business/trading names etc. Most tradesmen on here have never had to change their username.

Us chavs have noticed that Mr Harrison reserves great vitriol for Gas Safe Register and gas qualified people generally. If a task requires a qualification and trade body membership, he wants to argue that it isn't Law and anyone, including himself, can do it. In other words, he considers himself to be the arbiter of all.

Most wannabe experts on internet forums who know nothing, and who make claims that are never able to be substantiated, become quite aggressive when their voracity is questioned.

I'd be interested to see how John Harrison (sic) would go about distancing himself from this delusional stereotype.

All installations must be notified to Local Area Building Control either directly or through a Competent Persons Scheme. A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate will then be issued to the customer who should, on receipt, write the Notification Number on the Checklist.

I have seen BCOs sign them off on site, seeing the operation of the controls. The BCO is the 3G man, he is the ultimate. You are on about how the makers interpret it. A BCO signing one off is enough, the ultimate. This will probably not affect many who read this forum. On a site with many dwellings the BCO will sign unvented cylinders off, a G3 man not needed.

In normal circumstances when an unvented cylinder is fitted into a lived in home, then a G3 man has to do the lot, unlike with gas. There was a loophole in the law that allowed pressurised unvented thermal stores with only a 3bar PRV. I think that has now been plugged and it falls into G3.

LOL!!!!...........You're clearly a complete rsole!! Now I'm wondering how I managed to get drawn into replying to you. On a more serious note why are the Mods letting you give dangerous, incorrect answers to poor unsuspecting people???!!!!

LOL!!!!...........You're clearly a complete rsole!! Now I'm wondering how I managed to get drawn into replying to you. On a more serious note why are the Mods letting you give dangerous, incorrect answers to poor unsuspecting people???!!!!
Mr MacPuller, I cut & pasted and showed it to all. I never made it up. The BCO can sign off an unvented cylinder for sure. I have seen it happen.

Thanks and.....

Last edited:
So what gives you the experience and knowledge to judge the tatooed (allegedly) and unwashed?

- I'm not expecting anything much - if at all, by the way. I expect my question to go unanswered, or a flippant aside.

"notified to Local Area Building Control either directly"

Doesn't say "signed off by"

Dick.

Where was this unvented cylinder signed off by a BCO. It will be public information through the planning portal I would have thought.

Kindly produce the evidence.

Mr MacPuller, I cut & pasted and showed it to all. I never made it up. The BCO can sign off an unvented cylinder for sure. I have seen it happen.

Thanks and.....

I know I shouldn't, anyway; do you have a problem with comprehension or something, did you read the pages I linked to?? There's no way a LABC inspector is going to complete a unvented cylinder Benchmark, not in a million years - you're talking shyte!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back