Unvented Cylinder Pumped Secondary Hot Water Circuit EV Sizing Consideration

you asked if attaching it to the PRV balanced take off
Missed that ... only saw the comment about adding a PRV into the HW outlet therefore, I presume, to release any excess pressure and keep it to a 3bar constant? Perhaps I misinterpreted. That wouldn't be how this issue would be corrected though.
Would perhaps a PVR set at 3 Bar installed in the hot water outlet help control the pressure surge from the EV

seem to be associated particularly with Gledhill cylinders.
Are Gledhill's more liable to have this issue, can't say I've seen a recurring pattern specifically with them, rather more so the EV's. That's not to say there isn't of course but I haven't really seen it. In fact I recently had to sort the same issue with a Telford and then an Albion. Both had the tell tale showing @ the tundish. One needed a new EV the other just needed re-pressurised and tuned. I do carry a gauge to test the PRV is holding @ spec as the springs do get tired too, that and sometimes leave it connected overnight to check the fully heated static pressure, that can allow a closer set pre-charge in the EV. What is a constant though is poor or no servicing, every one I have gone to hasn't been looked at in an age. The other one I've seen is the HW stat has been played with so the HW temp has been altered which can have a bearing on pressure. One other constant though is age, I do believe that EV membranes lose performance the older they get and that may be a contributing factor.

Sponsored Links
The EV was installed end of June this year as part the new system install, so I don't think its aged, however on the other hand it could be faulty from new.

A quick question, would measuring the EV pre-charge pressure after a full heat cycle give the system static pressure before any hot tap is opened? Wouldn't the pressure on both sides of EV diaphragm be the same in a static situation?

If the precharge pressure is 3 bar and the static pressure is 3 bar then the final pressure (measured at the air end schrader valve) will be 3.77 bar after a full reheat but even if the static pressure was as low as a improbable 1.0 bar then the pressure will still read 3.77 bar after a reheat as water is by and large incompressible but at least it wil tell you something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back