Unvented cylinder replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having my unvented indirect cylinder replaced at some point as it makes popping sounds when heating up and the manufacturer has inspected it and said its where the lagging has come away from the cylinder. Makes an air gap and when hot water is drawn from tap or the cylinder heating up, sometimes it causes the casing to make a cracking sound. I think it happens where the cold suddenly rushes in, and the temperature changes.

My question is, how hard a job is it. I'm concerned as they said they will need to drain down the system and cut a few pipes due to accessibility issues of getting the old one out. I also heard about this issue with gledhill cylinders and after a replacement a bit further down the line the same thing happens.

Thanks all appreciated

Attachments

• 16164190264414025792535025995988.jpg
    16164190264414025792535025995988.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
Yeah, they'll need to clear the access at the front to allow the old cylinder to be taken out, which will need pipework cut.

It's not that hard a job if it's a straight swap, as most of the connections should be the same or similar.

It's an issue that all cylinders that come encased in insulation with an outer case can suffer from. Sometime the insulation, which in effect is expanding foam, doesn't take properly when it's piped in.

As long as they are replacing it FOC, then can't get much better than that IMO.

Thanks Rob, yep it is a FOC replacement, under the warranty of the cylinder. As the house is a new build (well it was 2 x years ago) my warranty for any issues has now expired. So i am a bit worried if they make a mistake or something goes wrong, whether they would return to fix it. I assume they would (e.g. a joint was leaking / weeping after renewing it or having cut the pipes). I tend to worry about plumbing!

The sound is able to be replicated i found, by simply flicking my finger nail against the outer casing. it sounds very similar to the noise it makes when it is heating up / hot water is drawn. It does it maybe 2 /3 times when heating up once a day, and then first thing in the morning when using the shower / tap.

Sponsored Links
The cylinder carries a 25 year warranty, assuming you have it serviced every year. Their workmanship in installing the new one should also be guaranteed for a reasonable period.

Thanks all, yep i have had it serviced and this issue only really arose after 12 x months or so. They have said it isn't dangerous it is just an annoyance with the sound. I just hope the replacement which is identical, doesn't do it or it will have been for nothing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back