Unvented hot water system regulations

Paul Barker said:
..........................If people in the trade who work among us all the time demonstrate so much incompetence, how do you expect us to have confidence in you, without first pasing a test.

The reason for passing the test is to demonstrate you have enough wit to understand what you have been told, to acknowlwdge the fact that you have been told, and as a consequence you can take full legal responsibility for what you have done so you can be charged with an offence, if necessary, and that you will not be able to wriggle out of it.

Sponsored Links
There's a world of difference between doing a job with the manual in your hand blindly putting things together, and knowing what the bits are, why they're there and how they work. It's that extra level of understanding which the course is there to impart.

If you were doing your first scuba dive, would you want your equipment put together by someone who didn't understand it, but only had the book to follow?

It would be pretty unlikely to make a dangerous thing out of an unvented cylinder - you'd have to cap things off etc, but there is a potential risk so it seems reasonable that anyone putting one in should "know what he's doing". Without some sort of safeguard, there's no bottom limit on the stupidity, or incompetence, of the installer!

Pro 123, how about you call out building control inspector to come and inspect your work.

I bet you do not have the b***s to do this.

You have failed miserably to follow up what the manual says as it is crystal clear that the BCO should be contacted before any work commences on UVHW cylinder instal.

Paul Barker said:
By the way we had a recent case in Scarborough where an electrician removed a gas fire for a landlady so that a bird could be removed.

On replacement the tenants got flu like symptoms.....

I was expecting to read on that the tenant developed Bird Flu !

Tony

Sponsored Links
DP is quite right of course that BCO have to be informed, but I don't remember seeing it in a UV cylinder instructions..
As with boilers not everything is necessarily in the instructions.

Which reminds me, some UV instructions are extremely bad. I remember putting in an "Ultrasteel" one where nothing made sense.
I called the mfr who were very rude and unhelpful: "Haven't you put any UV cylinders in before?".
It transpired I had "The old" instructions for different parts but he insisted it shouldn't matter because I should know what I'm doing.
I got the same moron a year later when a valve on it failed and I wanted the part number...
Another difficulty in having a go yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back