Unvented hot water system regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having installed a unvented mains pressure hot water system (electric not gas). Can anyone tell me/point to the regulations regarding the qualifications needed (if any) to fit one of these systems so I can check the credentials of the installer? I've seen the bit in the building regs on the ODPM website, is there anything more precise?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The installer will have a card showing he/she is certified to install uvhws this may be isuued by a manufacturer.
There is a present no central data base to check.
Pete

On my corgi registration card is a blue square with a water drop symbol inside it just to the right of corgi symbol.This shows that i have my udhwss certificate so check his corgi card. But it bet he still doesn't install discharge correctly

I would have thought a water drop would be Water Regulations?

I have a silver photo card which I think is issued by CITB.
This is labelled WATER and has "Unvented" on the reverse.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile not sure but all guys i work with who have unvented have that blue mark but anyone without it doesn't have the ticket. Boss says it is because i have unvented so i have no reason to doubt him

I also have a card similar to Tony's. Fail to see what UV ticket has to do with CORGI. On reverse it says Unvented HW storage systems, no expiry date (as it is evergreen). On the front is the name, picture, CITB hologram and the Registration no which needs to be entered on the documentation and plans submitted to building control.

This is the kind of thing that mudies the water. We cannot agree among ourselves what is what. Heaven help the end user.

The guys with the blue drop on the corgi card have it because they've joined corgi's competent person scheme for plumbing. what this doesn't differ between is if you are registered for unvented scheme only, or just the plumbing scheme or in fact both. An unvented installer will hold either a card from CITB saying water, BPEC saying unvented etc.
Lee

Yes I have the citb one, but it's in a hell of a state since I use it for wiping dec caulk silicone and sometimes grout.

i have the unvented ticket just a couple of points it is not shown on my corgi card the space is blank,i also have 6084 that too is not shown on my card either.the unvented is a G3 qualification.

I've done all the plumbing uo to my Megaflow myself. Have a ticketed friend coming round next week to install the megaflow for £100.

Having read the installation instructions I have to say I think the whole building regs and not doing diy install is a complete con.

I've re-plumbed my entire house (solder not push fit). I'm having a Direct megaflow system installed. The instructions supplied are idiot proof. It's got a foolproof diagram showing the discharge pipe arangement, a chart showing you which size pipe you must use plus an explanation of the buildinig regs. It isn't exactly hard to follow.

I don't need a balanced cold water connection, or a secondary return. So basically I'm paying my friend to drill 2 holes in my wall, one for the discharge pipe and one for the 15mm expansion relief valve pipe. Then do up a few compersion joints for the combination valve etc. Seeing as everything appears to be factory set and we are told not to tamper with them, there's not exactly a lot the installer could do that I couldn't?

The commisioning instructions are just as straight forwards.

I do hate all thess regulations limiting what a COMPETENT diyer can do. It wouldn't be so bad is I regually saw good quality work by so called qualified people, but I don't. I've witnessed qualified electricians being stupid/dangerous (eg: putting cooker socket and plug 5 inches above center of hotplate). Windows installers that should be banned from ever touching someones windows (anglia windows in my case, next time, stuff the regs, I'll install myself and do a propper job), and I've read on various forums including this one comments about unvented install problems where the so called qualified plumber doesn't know what he's doing.

Its pretty simple to understand the ACPO guidelines for firearms trained policemen. I would doubt that you would expect to read it and go on the tube to search for suspected bombers to shoot dead.

Similarly with the unvented cylinders they should be installed by someone who has been trained and demonstrated their competence by taking the assessment.

Its not that difficult and costs perhaps less than £200. You could do it yourself.

I think that I am right to say that with an unvented, UNLIKE a gas boiler, YOU can install it and have it commissioned by a qualified person.

I dont see that you should have any concerns over this.

Tony

pjo123 said:
.................. The instructions supplied are idiot proof. It's got a foolproof diagram showing the discharge pipe arangement, a chart showing you which size pipe you must use plus an explanation of the buildinig regs. It isn't exactly hard to follow.
...................... Seeing as everything appears to be factory set and we are told not to tamper with them, there's not exactly a lot the installer could do that I couldn't?

Most installations I've seen are wrong, most often the discharge pipe.

I agree that any competent person fitting a gas boiler or an unvented cylinder according to manufcaturers instructions would do so safely. the problem comes in deciding who is competent.

Diy people who have not worked as tradesmen are not all competent because of their lack of experience. It is true that many peple in life are competent instantly at whatever they turn their hands to do, but many others are hamfisted, and won't be aware when they haven't completed a task competently. That is why it is important to have some form of assesmnet to prove competence.

The building trade is full of individuals who are never going to rise above labourer. They either look glassy eyed at you when you try to teach them, or they are too intent on sparking up and leaning on the shovel, or they are packing the tools away at 4.30 for a 5 oclock finish, or they don't have it upstairs, or they can't use their hands except on a shovel etc etc. The same is true of people outside the building trade who think they can do it. If people in the trade who work among us all the time demonstrate so much incompetence, how do you expect us to have confidence in you, without first pasing a test.

By the way we had a recent case in Scarborough where an electrician removed a gas fire for a landlady so that a bird could be removed. On replacement the tenants got flu like symptoms and went to hospital where it was found they had carbon monoxide poisoning. They were lucky to have got out of the room in time. HSE and corgi came to have a look, as a result corgi gave the electrician a lifetime ban. I am not sure what the hse did.

pjo123 said:
I do hate all thess regulations limiting what a COMPETENT diyer can do.

As Tony says why not go and get your g3 ticket and do it all yourself...there was a place in Walsall did it for 85.00 including lunch and it took a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back