Unvented pipe diameters for hot/cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one bathroom and one kitchen.

The current hot water pipe to the bathroom is 22mm. It splits to the kitchen at 15mm.

Cold water to bathroom and kitchen are both 15mm.

My question is when I get my unvented hot water cylinder installed, I obviously need a 22mm cold to the cylinder, but what about cold to the bathroom and kitchen. Does this need to be uprated to 22mm?

I'm going to have a thermostatic mixer shower in the bathroom.

Thanks
Budgie

Sponsored Links
Thanks taff.

At the moment though, if you're running a cold tap and someone flushes the loo, there is a big drop in flow of the tap.

If I'm showering with the new unvented system, I presume in this case there will be a drop in pressure with the shower? Can this somehow be aleviated?

Can I fit pressure reducing valves on the cisterns so it doesnt refill at full tilt?

Sponsored Links
andy.budgell said:
Thanks taff.

At the moment though, if you're running a cold tap and someone flushes the loo, there is a big drop in flow of the tap.

If I'm showering with the new unvented system, I presume in this case there will be a drop in pressure with the shower? Can this somehow be aleviated?

Can I fit pressure reducing valves on the cisterns so it doesnt refill at full tilt?

I always run balanced hot and cold in 22mm and t off to each outlet in 15mm.

You will get a pressure reducing/balancing valve with your unvented cylinder, if yo have more than 3 bar incoming pressure it will reduce pressure to this so eliminating the above problem.

corgiman said:
andy.budgell said:
Thanks taff.

Sheesh how racist, you'll be calling a sheep worrier next

I ask ya

Tut tut

;)

Theres a knock at the door. I think I'm being taken in for that comment. What is the world coming to.

gas4you said:
andy.budgell said:
Thanks taff.

I always run balanced hot and cold in 22mm and t off to each outlet in 15mm.

You will get a pressure reducing/balancing valve with your unvented cylinder, if yo have more than 3 bar incoming pressure it will reduce pressure to this so eliminating the above problem.

Thanks Dave. Useful info.
Seems to make sense.
Just hope my plumber will do that. I'll ask him.

granted i off far less experiance than gas4you but i dont see the point in upgrading your 15mm to 22mm. With the 15mm being at main pressure surely this is more than sufficient to run to your bathroom and give you good pressure?.

Dont worry about the Taff comment, been called a lot worse in my time :D

Pressure will be ok but quantity be be better especially if more than one tap used at a time.

Deleted same as above. Why does this site crash with funny messages so often :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back