Unvented system losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A687BF8B-C363-4992-A333-D7C6ECAFFFA7.jpeg
0279792D-6E75-4AE3-832E-E97E117FFD20.jpeg

Hi all,

looking for some suggestions to try and understand why my system is losing pressure.

I have a system boiler serving an unvented hot water cylinder and central heating. Central heating circuit is set to 1 bar but drops to 0.8 every 1-2 days but doesn’t drop any further. central heating won’t kick in until I’ve refilled back to 1 bar. I’ve checked under the floor and the rads for leaks and can’t find any so struggling to understand where the pressure is going?

Could it be boiler related or expansion vessel perhaps?

I’ll undoubtedly call out a plumber, but I like to try and understand these things first.

images of system attached

Sponsored Links
If there is air/hydrogen in the system it might go overpressure every time the heating kicks in, go round everywhere and bleed ALL the rads, then pressure again and see if it does the same?

Sponsored Links
You have a Greenstar Ri, when the system pressure drops to 0.8 Bar, do you get a flashing blue light on the boiler ?, try the cold pressure at 1.5Bar and see what happens, if you have an expansion problem you will be getting visible drops of water in the tundish, try placing a small piece of tissue across the diameter of the tundish and see if it gets wet , boiler shouldnt cut out at 0.8 Bar (your boiler doesnt have a low water content switch) it senses the way the heat is transferred from the boiler

You have a Greenstar Ri, when the system pressure drops to 0.8 Bar, do you get a flashing blue light on the boiler ?, try the cold pressure at 1.5Bar and see what happens, if you have an expansion problem you will be getting visible drops of water in the tundish, try placing a small piece of tissue across the diameter of the tundish and see if it gets wet , boiler shouldnt cut out at 0.8 Bar (your boiler doesnt have a low water content switch) it senses the way the heat is transferred from the boiler

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. When pressure is at 0.8, the boiler fires up but then cuts out after a min or two. I can hear gurgling coming from the pump but the rads don’t heat up. The boiler keeps firing up every few mins (green light comes on) but the. cuts out again.

If there is air/hydrogen in the system it might go overpressure every time the heating kicks in, go round everywhere and bleed ALL the rads, then pressure again and see if it does the same?

thanks, I’ll give this a try. I know I have one double rad where only one panel gets hot. I’ve tried bleeding it but it must be blocked as no air comes out. Could this be causing the issue?

well any air/gas in the rad will expand a lot from cold to hot, it will try and increase its volume and so raise the pressure, that can cause the overpressure valve to open, best get to the bottom of the problem with that rad before the plumber comes, if you can.

well any air/gas in the rad will expand a lot from cold to hot, it will try and increase its volume and so raise the pressure, that can cause the overpressure valve to open, best get to the bottom of the problem with that rad before the plumber comes, if you can.
Makes sense! I’ll give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back