Unwanted old air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two double size air brick vents at floor level in my lounge which make the room very cold in winter, these were fitted for a coal fire when the house was built and are no longer needed. What is the best way to Seal them up, Can I chop them out of the outside wall and put in a house a brick in and what insulation can I use and plaster inside the room? Could someone talk it through for me getting a bit confused thank you Tully

Sponsored Links
Yes you can (chop them out and replace with solid brick externally and probably a lump of PIR insulation in the inner skin). BUT you might want to run with a temporary easily reversible fix first (silicon a lump of PVC sheet over the outside, stuff the inside one with bits of loft insulation and cover with something) just in case there is no other room ventilation and you end up with condensation issues. Presumably this is a Victorian or Edwardian brick house- solid walls, no cavity to speak of?

Sponsored Links
oldbutnotdead, thank you so much, excellent idea I will do the temporary suggestion for this winter and if no problems will brick up next summer. Thanks Tully x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back