Air Ventilation Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I just stripped of all the paper in my room, and realised it was covering an air vent, which as a result caused mould build up on the walls and near the window. Okay so I know I have to keep this vent clear to prevent the problem from happening again, however I live on a very busy road and keeping the vent slide open lets in a lot of noise from the road. I know this sounds impossible, but is there any way I can leave the vent open to let in the air, and at the same time keep the noise out? If not would it be best to brick up the air vent and re-direct a new one through the loft into the ceiling?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Whats the vent for? If there's no open fires/ boilers/ gas fires in room I normally paper over again, after treating mould with thin bleach. But check first re gas appliances.. ;)

Whats the vent for? If there's no open fires/ boilers/ gas fires in room I normally paper over again, after treating mould with thin bleach. But check first re gas appliances.. ;)

No gas fires or boiler in the room. I treated mould with a bleach solution before and papered over it last time, but it hasn't worked. The vent is just for air ventilation into the room.

Ok. Well all I can say is brick/block both sides up. Try just blocking the outside temporary with a peice of ply (stick with some painters caulking not no nails :) ) I reckon the vent itself may be causing the prob Is the vent facing prvailing winds/ rain penetrates.
try for a year and block up permanantly when if no mould/ damp comes back. Thats my view anyhow..
Good luck

Sponsored Links
Ok. Well all I can say is brick/block both sides up. Try just blocking the outside temporary with a peice of ply (stick with some painters caulking not no nails :) ) I reckon the vent itself may be causing the prob Is the vent facing prvailing winds/ rain penetrates.
try for a year and block up permanantly when if no mould/ damp comes back. Thats my view anyhow..
Good luck
Yes you're right the vent is at the corner of the house, and is facing wind and rain, however the area where the paper was covering it never got damp. I'll block it up temporarily with with an insulation block, surrounded by expanding foam, and replace the vent cover over it, so it lets in a little air. What is painters caulking? :?: Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back