update on removing concrete footing 600mm wide , 500mm deep by 5 m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to thank you all for the advice given to me .

Thread "Advice needed ,best way to remove footings ?"

In the end i decided to buy a cheap breaker ,a Titan , which i needed for other jobs anyway .
If that failed i would go for one of the other options.
I started where the footing joined the house , it took 4 hours to dig a metre length working on top of the concrete. I could now fit into the trench .
I then got into the trench and hammered out the bottom six inches of the footing ,creating an overhang .
Next i hammered from the top , to remove the overhang , repeating along the footing .
As long as i kept the bottom clear , and the concrete had something soft to break into it worked.
It took about 14 hours over 3 days .
The Titan was okay in the trench , but on top i needed a bigger breaker .
The vibration was bad until i wrapped some foam around the handles .
If i had to do it again , i am not sure i would use this method ,it was hard and slow .
I hope this helps somebody .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the update and well done for your perseverance and graft. When I was @ primary school I watched 2 workmen demolish a WW11 blockhouse in the playing field with jackhammers.....for weeks and weeks. Probably they got Vibration White Finger - unless the ciggies they smoked got them first :notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back