Updating my Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My central heating system has a Baxi Bermuda LFE5 Super back boiler, 10 rads. Gravity hot water, pumped heat. When we moved in there were no thermostats, (only the boiler stat). I put in a room stat 3 yrs ago, and it all works ok except that the boiler seems to spend a lot of time cutting in and out, which is not only annoying, but seems to me to indicate something's wrong. (?) I wired the stat so that it cuts the supply to boiler and pump to avoid dry cycling. (Is that right??)
Anyway, I thought I'd upgrade the system with a new boiler in the kitchen or a combi in the airing cupboard. I've had 2 recommended C/H people have a look but neither of them came back with a quote.
One said some of the ground floor pipes are under the concrete floor so a combi is out, and that the pipework is a mixture of one-pipe and two-pipe.
Well, okay, that can be fixed. I can do that. And I could install one of those Y Plan control sets, and keep the existing boiler? Would that be better?
Having said that, I see there are 4 pipes in and out of the boiler, and with the Y Plan I'd only need one Feed and Return; could anyone explain that for me?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need an open vented boiler so as not to stress the underfloor pipes.

These are available in some combi makes and in most heat only makes.

Call the installers you had round to see what figure they would quote.

Be aware there is more work involved in sorting out your problems and they are probably reluctant to bother as they know it will be more expensive and think you will not want to proceed.

Does your house give an air of affluence?

Tony

Pipes in concrete can be fine if protected and given room to move. Normal pressurised heating pressures are not a problem for pipes in good condition.
You can inspect thepipes yourself (or get a plumber to do so). You might decide to do it all from drops, andd ignore the buried pipes.

If you want to keep your boiler, get yourself the boiler manual to see how things should be done.
partsarena.com/baxi

You can fir what ever boiler you like to your system.

I usually would always fit a system boiler, or a combi. Can't think of an open vent combi available at present :confused:

I do though, always inform the customer of the risk of leaks in old rads or existing pipe work afterwards, during the quote and put a disclaimer in writing at the bottom of the quote.

Unfortunately we cannot see your existing installation, but if it is indeed a mixture of single pipe and twin pipe, I would recommend re-piping the system all to twin pipe.

The 4 pipes you have off your boiler are 2 primary's (28mm) for gravity HW and 2 22mm for heating only. You may well also have the bathroom ra piped off the hw primary's. Does this get hot in summer with the heating off?

I never understand why, after taking the trouble to visit a prospective customer, the installer can't be bothered to quote or at least contact them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick replies, guys.
To Dave first, I too cannot understand why they spend an hour looking at it, then not get back. We're not rolling in it, but I have a pretty good idea what I may have to spend!!
Anyway, I am capable of repiping the 'onepipes' and replacing the concreted ones from above. I'm leaning toward the idea of doing that, then fitting say, a Worcester 18ri (good choice or not? 3 bed semi, 10 rads) in the kitchen and putting the Y plan control pack in the airing cupboard. (Sounds simple!!) Then get a gas fitter to put the gas in, (if I can find one), and replace the back boiler with a fire.
The bathroom rad is on the heating circuit.
If I kept the Baxi, which pipes would I use, and what would I do with the other two? The problem I'm trying to overcome is the irritation of the boiler going on and off beside me when we're watching TV.

Gasman1965

I was thinking of it, yes. Not the gas bit, of course.
I had a quote from British Gas, who I know to be expensive, as a guide. Their price was around £4500 to site a new boiler in the kitchen.
I then tried three local 'recommended-by-people-who-they'd-done-work-for' central heating engineers. Corgi Registered.
One came, we discussed what would be best, he went away to work out a price, I never heard from him again.
No 2 never turned up.
No 3, same as No 1.
We live in a perfectly respectable house in a respectable area. We are a married couple.
I think the only way it's going to happen is if I do it myself.

Why bother coming round :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for ya mate but persevere and Im sure youll get a RGI worth his salts ;)

Why not chase up the 1ns who visited ??

Then again if thats the way they deal with quotes then what would the job be like :confused:

Aint we got Welsh RGI's on here ;)

BTW I personally would not touch a boiler fitted by anybody but me ..

If you want to do as much as you can yourself, then do it, but just leave all the pipes terminated around the boiler area and get your RGI to hang/install the boiler, fit the flue, run the gas and connect it and connect boiler to your existing pipe work.

If you want to do as much as you can yourself, then do it, but just leave all the pipes terminated around the boiler area and get your RGI to hang/install the boiler, fit the flue, run the gas and connect it and connect boiler to your existing pipe work.
surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Thanks, gas4you, but I've still gotta find one! Otherwise I'm going to end up with no heating at all.
In my 18 years' of living in Swansea it's been my experience that it's all but impossible to find a tradesman who will both turn up, and do a proper job. This is not just my opinion; anyone I speak to says the same.
When I wanted my garage extended I phoned 4 local builders to come and give me a quote. They all arranged times. Only one turned up.
Can you answer this question for me. 4 pipes in and out of the Baxi. One goes to the pump, obviously the CH feed. If I can isolate the two gravity HW ones, the remaining one is clearly the CH return. If I decided to Y plan the Baxi, would I just cap off the two gravity HW pipes?
Thanks.

YEah you should be able to cap em off or just link the 2 returns together ..

I don't think it is limited to Swansea, I hear it all the time around Norwich.

People get really peed off with it :mad: Perhaps that is why I keep so busy, especially as I am more expensive than most in my area:cool:

Its just old fashioned manners and courtesy at the end of day I think ;)

1 of the most common things I get is "thank god you turned up" :rolleyes:

But like you say a good service comes at a cost,, Im still getting established but my main goal is a great service which in the end will pay off Im sure :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back