Upgrade of gas supply

RWS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my earlier flue post here... //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=280509
I have got a quote for a replacement boiler (12Kw condensing for heating only), should I fail to get the flue problem resolved, this included the cost to upgrade the current gas supply from 15mm to 22mm over a quite tricky route of approx 8M. I'm told that it is now a 'requirement', is this so ?, as seem somewhat over the top for such a small boiler and probably adds a lot to the costs

Cheers... RonS

Sponsored Links
Correct working pressure at the gas appliance has always been the 'reqirement'

If the present gas line supplies required pressure to present boiler and new boiler is rated the same, see no problem with the gas line.

ask the installer to do working pressure at meter and at the appliance
1mb diffrence is the tolerance

Correct working pressure at the gas appliance has always been the 'reqirement'

If the present gas line supplies required pressure to present boiler and new boiler is rated the same, see no problem with the gas line.

The current boiler is a 7 year old Gloworm Ultimate 50FF, so approx 20% more 'load' and seemingly works fine on the 15mm supply

RonS

Sponsored Links
"Seemingly working fine to you" is not the same as fulfilling the technical requirements of a gas supply as evidenced from measurements of the pressure loss in the gas supply.

I also wonder why you are not having hot water requirements covered by the new boiler.

Tony

Maybe 1.5kw for HW is included in the 12kw rated boiler.

"Seemingly working fine to you" is not the same as fulfilling the technical requirements of a gas supply as evidenced from measurements of the pressure loss in the gas supply.

I also wonder why you are not having hot water requirements covered by the new boiler.

Tony

Sorry to mislead you there, I just meant it's is not a combi, does my small flat, 4 radiators and an indirect cylinder

Obviously he was just quoting so no pressure tests were carried out, I just wondered that if in the absence of a test he had allowed to upgrade the supply to ensure compliance, seems to me that you could install the boiler, test it and upgrade the supply if it proves to be inadequate, so not a 'requirement' as such

if it like for like swap kw wise and pipe work is tested and it with in tolerance then you can keep it other wise it will need upgrading

In answer to the previous 2 posts..

Current boiler Gloworm Ultimate 50FF, 50,000 btu (fan flue), proposed replacement Gloworm Flexicom 12HX, so around 40,000 btu (condensing), so not like for like, but less output, hence the original question

ask the installer to do working pressure at meter and at the appliance
1mb diffrence is the tolerance
A question (possibly silly), do you mean a test with the current boiler
(see post above for boiler models)

yes it is
but it can be done after new boiler installed and if it fails then upgrade the pipe work

Thanks guys for the replies a great help, so I think I will ask a for re-quote without gas upgrade which should save quite few pennies :D , and ask him to do a pre or post installation test, all being well I won't need the upgrade

Cheers.. RonS

Without knowing the size or length of gas supply pipe but if much is 15 mm then it will ned to be upgraded to 22 mm.

Any ewxperienced installer can just look at it and tell. Less experienced will do calculations. The end result is the same.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back