Gas supply in steel or copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a Gas Safe engineer visit as we are having a new boiler installed.
The current gas supply is 15mm but the new boiler requires a 22mm supply.
I was advised that we need to run a new 22mm supply from the meter and that it will be done in steel.
I should have asked at the time but perhaps someone could give me their advice on here, does it need to be steel, or is it common practice to have copper supply the gas from the meter to the boiler?
The route will go from the garage where the meter is situated, up and under a bedroom that is over the garage, under the floorboards of the bedroom until its on top of the kitchen, then down the kitchen wall to the boiler. None of the route will be external to the house, nor will any be buried in the walls or in any concrete flooring.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry for the slow reply, I believe threaded steel. Again I am no expert but I thought steel would be safer but if copper is common practice then I'll go back and have the conversation with him.

Threaded steel is way cooler than copper. It's heavy gauge is much more nail, screw, and drill resistant too. Good excuse to use the hydraulic bender that's gathering dust in the corner.

The Yanks do all their internal gas pipes in threaded steel. Must be quite labour intensive if doing a long, convoluted run in a house.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back