Upgrade of gas supply

Without knowing the size or length of gas supply pipe but if much is 15 mm then it will ned to be upgraded to 22 mm.

Any ewxperienced installer can just look at it and tell. Less experienced will do calculations. The end result is the same.

Tony

In your experiance what would be the maximum length of 15mm copper tube supplying a 12 KW appliance?

Sponsored Links
Got to admit i'd have to look that one up , does that make me the less experianced out the bunch? :oops:

Got to admit i'd have to look that one up , does that make me the less experianced out the bunch? :oops:

Exactly my point , i also had to refer to the flow discharge chart , my bet some of the most experianced on here would do exactly the same. ;)......more bull. :mrgreen:

Most experienced installers seem to look at it and then come to a conclusion but without making exact calculations when just quoting.

In this case all the difference will be according to where the gas cooker ( if any ) is connected and the number of elbows etc.

In many cases a cost effective upgrade can be done just round the meter where there are often several elbows.

I agree that it would be easy to test on the old boiler and many installers would do that when they have got the job. Or they could do the test when the new boiler is fitted. The danger is that the customer might refuse to pay for the upgrade and that leaves the installer responsible for the costs.

There are also some customers who go with the installer who says its not necessary to upgrade the pipe. Thats very unfair to the conscientious installer who just wants to do it correctly. The need to upgrade depends on the pipework and not the installer.

Sponsored Links
Any ewxperienced installer can just look at it and tell. Less experienced will do calculations. The end result is the same.

This is what you said , your last post has nothing to do with this.

Still haven't answered my question , are you the experianced engineer or the less experianced? :mrgreen:

I am experienced enough to know that the only pressure loss that is relevant is what is measured. A measured loss is never less than the calculated figure and often twice or more times the calculated figure.

If you used the calculated figure and forgot a cooker then you could fit a Worcester 12 Ri on about 15m of 15mm tube.

The practical case is completely different. Thats why Worcester MI say that 15mm tube is unlike to be adequate unless the length is only 3-4m. Sensible practical advice!

Nevertheless, gas training revolves around the ( wrong ) idea that pressure losses can be accurately calculated so when posting on forums I have to pay lip service to what is being taught.

Tony

Without knowing the size or length of gas supply pipe but if much is 15 mm then it will ned to be upgraded to 22 mm.

Tony

In your experiance what would be the maximum length of 15mm copper tube supplying a 12 KW appliance?
just do working pressure test then make a the choice
but thats because i am bit lasy to do the maths

If you used the calculated figure and forgot a cooker then you could fit a Worcester 12 Ri on about 15m of 15mm tube.

Not so , 12 meters would be about right (equivalent length) , you failed to realise the 12kw boiler in question is quoted output. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back