Upgrade to 80s detached house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a 1982 detached house that needed complete update. All was going well until the temperature dropped. Single glazing suffers from bad condensation and house will not hold heat. Some advice on the following points would be great.

1) Have will air bricks to my external wall aid ventilation, thus reducing condensation. Am I right in understanding that they do not penetrate both layers just the external?

2) The single glazing is cold and condenses quickly, would new upvc windows with air vents be better? We have a local company in middlesbrough offering to do whole house for £1900, this seems cheap, does it compare to other prices?

3) We qualify for the cavity wall and loft grant. If walls and loft are well ventilated will this help. I know there used to be issues with cavity insulation and poor ventilation.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1) Have will air bricks to my external wall aid ventilation, thus reducing condensation. Am I right in understanding that they do not penetrate both layers just the external?
Depends if they are cavity vents or floor void vents.

2) The single glazing is cold and condenses quickly, would new upvc windows with air vents be better?
Yes, much better. Expertly measured and fitted windows will be better still. Trickle vents will aid passive ventilation and will help reduce the condensation in any given room. Paradoxically, if the existing windows are drafty and the new ones are not, then you will require passive ventilation to deal with condensation build-up. However, this condensation is less likely to seek out the glass on newer 28mm+ d/g units.

We have a local company in middlesbrough offering to do whole house for £1900, this seems cheap, does it compare to other prices?
Only you can answer that question by seeking out other local quotes. Go on recommendation rather than or as well as, price. Even good quality but poorly fitted windows are pants.

3) We qualify for the cavity wall and loft grant. If walls and loft are well ventilated will this help. I know there used to be issues with cavity insulation and poor ventilation.
Any cavity vents will become void once the cavity is filled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back