Upgrading an electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the planning stages of my next project which will be a new kitchen.

Part of the plan involves replacing a single (built under) electric oven with a double (built in) oven.

Obviously, this also involves moving where the oven is located.

I've done a bit of research into doing this so now I have what I hope is a short list of questions.

1, The shut off switch.
The current oven has a master switch on the wall which then runs down to a cooker plate type junction box behind the cupboard next to the oven.
The existing single oven is then hard wired to that box.

I've read that your master switch should be no more than 2 metres from the oven itself.

Is that as the crow flies or are we talking about length of cable from the switch (or junction box)?

Basically, my kitchen really isn't that big, so if it's as the crow flies I'm cool, but, if it's cable length I'm probably a bit over.

Ideally I'd like to just leave the switch where it is and run a new length of cable round the back of the cupboards to the new oven.

2, Supply/Rating.
Is there a simple way to check the current rating?
From what I've read I'm 99% certain my new oven will need a 30amp breaker - I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Without sounding stupid - how do I check what breaker is currently in the consumer unit?

Luckily for me, the consumer unit is in the kitchen and is also directly above where the master socket for the current oven is, so I guess if I had to install a new ring (or whatever the correct term is) it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd rather not if I don't have to!

(Clearly I won't be doing that myself - but it shouldn't be a biggy for a sparky).

Thanks in advance....

DIYC

Sponsored Links
not sure the 2m is set in stone, it just has to be located in a suitable position that it is obvious what it controls..

this is normally to the left or right of the cooker ( not above because of the hob etc.. )..

as for the rating..
turn the oven on, then turn the breakers off one by one.. when the oven goes off, that's the one.. simple.. process of elimination..

Thanks for the advice, so assuming I can work out which breaker is the oven - how can I tell what rating the breaker has?

Do I need to remove it? <- Never done that before!
or will it be written on the front of the breaker somewhere?

Thanks again,

DIY C

if it's a breaker it will have the rating written or embossed on it ( if it's old. )
something either just the number ( 32, 20, 16, 10, 6 etc.. ) or with a letter (B32, C32, B20, C20, B16, C16 etc.. )

Sponsored Links
The breaker might even have a handy label under it with the words "cooker" on it. All fuses/breakers should be identified with their assignments.

Yes, they are labelled, in terms of what each circuit is, so that's a good start.

I'll check out what codes are written on the front of it later.

I had a good look last night to see if I could tell and apart from some codes which I can't remember now the only thing I did notice is that they all looked the same? :confused:

Anyway, I'll check it out properly tonight, thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back