Upgrading doors to fire resistant

You're first point of contact is Building control, if the job requires it, the BCO will issue copies to a fire officer who works for the fire brigade service but as already mentioned only if BCO considers it neccesary and in developments such as yours this is unlikely as you've found out. He (the BCO) can approve it but again as already mentioned you may not get very far, regularisation cannot be applied to the bits that suit you, you will likely have to get the lot regularised or none at all.

Sponsored Links
You're first point of contact is Building control, if the job requires it, the BCO will issue copies to a fire officer who works for the fire brigade service but as already mentioned only if BCO considers it neccesary and in developments such as yours this is unlikely as you've found out. He (the BCO) can approve it but again as already mentioned you may not get very far, regularisation cannot be applied to the bits that suit you, you will likely have to get the lot regularised or none at all.

I have my blankety blank cheque book and pen handy :cry: :cry:

I'm astonished that the fire service can't (more like 'won't') help. They're quick enough to point the finger after the event. I would press them harder for advice. They must know who can advise you. Keep digging, and let us know how you get on.

I'm off on my hols now. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I'm astonished that the fire service can't (more like 'won't') help. They're quick enough to point the finger after the event. I would press them harder for advice. They must know who can advise you. Keep digging, and let us know how you get on.

I'm off on my hols now. Good luck.

Its BC who are responsible in the first instance not the brigade. The fire brigade are more interested in evacuation strategies in more complex buildings not the standard of materials used in a simple development. Building Control are more than capable of determining whether the strategy for this development is sound and whether doors once upgraded are suitable or not to be deemed fire resistant. The OP has been correctly advised to contact BC in the first instance. He may be looking to avoid going down that route for reasons described on another thread but unfortunately that's the price of not getting approval at the time of conversion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back